Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  
A pair of Super Hornets in the pattern over my house
Posted By: Larrymc, 10-25-2020, 06:22 PM

Assigned to VFA-105 Gunslingers stationed at NAS Oceana, VA. I kept hearing jet traffic but not the usual USAF T-1s, C-17As or Marine T-45Cs that are usually in the pattern but every time I stepped out to get a look at these guys they were too far away to get a shot. So I decided to sit on the patio and wait to see if they made another pass, they did make one more so I got a few shots but should have used a bit higher shutter speed (dumb photographer) as I'm use to the leisurely pace flown by the other aircraft and the wider traffic pattern they fly. These Navy jet jockeys fly a tight pattern indeed.

U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet gear down and locked on downwind 16R JAN
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet turning onto Downwind 16R JAN
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Views: 1,398
11-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots!
Getting less and less F-18`s flying over these days now that the lightning II is replacing them.

11-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So I decided to sit on the patio and wait to see if they made another pass, they did make one more so I got a few shots
Excellent shots of opportunity. Thanks for posting -- I never tire of looking at a/c pics!

Here in Ottawa, we don't get much RCAF traffic. There is the occasional transient, including CF-18s, C-17s, Hercs, and of course the Snowbirds acrobatic team. Rarely any rotary wings. Several months ago, a C-17 (RCAF CC-177) made several impressive low-altitude (but above the limit!) passes over the city, just to give a thrill to the COVID-weary population. Fun to watch my neighbours run around to get a good view!

I was an air force brat -- still fondly remember the 'boom-boom' of the CF-101 Voodoos scrambling at CFB Chatham (New Brunswick) on full afterburners. Maybe that led to my aeronautical engineering education and career in defence R&D.

The RCAF is destined to fly the CF-18s for a few more years as the replacement program drags on. It's been a great aircraft, upgraded incrementally through the years and kept flying by top-notch maintainers.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-01-2020 at 07:34 PM.
11-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Nice catch!

11-02-2020, 03:01 AM   #19

Great F/A 18E Shot like the contrails

11-02-2020, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nice shots!
Getting less and less F-18`s flying over these days now that the lightning II is replacing them.
I'm not sure how may strike squadron have transitioned to the F-35 as of yet and I sure hope that going to a single engine carrier based fighter is the right move for longevity over water. Only time will tell, the F-35 looks like it is superior to the F/A18-C on paper. BTW, the Gunslingers just got back stateside in August 2020 from a deployment. Thanks for the comment and visit!!
11-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Excellent shots of opportunity. Thanks for posting -- I never tire of looking at a/c pics!

Here in Ottawa, we don't get much RCAF traffic. There is the occasional transient, including CF-18s, C-17s, Hercs, and of course the Snowbirds acrobatic team. Rarely any rotary wings. Several months ago, a C-17 (RCAF CC-177) made several impressive low-altitude (but above the limit!) passes over the city, just to give a thrill to the COVID-weary population. Fun to watch my neighbours run around to get a good view!

I was an air force brat -- still fondly remember the 'boom-boom' of the CF-101 Voodoos scrambling at CFB Chatham (New Brunswick) on full afterburners. Maybe that led to my aeronautical engineering education and career in defence R&D.

The RCAF is destined to fly the CF-18s for a few more years as the replacement program drags on. It's been a great aircraft, upgraded incrementally through the years and kept flying by top-notch maintainers.

- Craig
Many thanks, Craig, I really appreciate your comment! I'm fortunate in that our local airport has a USAF Air National Guard Air Wing assigned to the airport with seven C-17As and a full compliment of aircrew and support personnel. I see a good many military aircraft on a daily basis flying here and every time I hear one flying overhead I have to look up to get a glimpse. When I was a kid in school I was fascinated by aviation and got to see military aircraft flying daily and attend airshows at an Air Force pilot training base in my small home town which had North American T-28 and Lockheed T-33 aircraft, so I was hooked early, In college I joined the U.S. Army and went to Rotary wing flight school and Flew in Vietnam and stateside until the mid eighties and then stopped flying altogether but the fascination with aircraft has never left me.

The F/A-18 and its variants that were developed in the seventies have served with distinction and as you said upgrades have kept the aircraft flying for quite a period of time thanks to dedicated maintenance personnel.

Thanks again for the comment and visit.

Larry
11-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Nice catch!
Many thanks, I appreciate your comment!!

11-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by milwrd Quote
Great F/A 18E Shot like the contrails
Many thanks they create some nifty contrails even flying in the traffic pattern especially on high humidity days! Again, thanks!!

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-02-2020 at 07:34 PM.
11-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how have you been lately?
Doing ok, Larry. I'm in SoCal now, taking care of my aging parents. I'm missing Texas and family, but I'm finding some new and interesting photo ops around here.
11-02-2020, 08:29 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure how may strike squadron have transitioned to the F-35 as of yet and I sure hope that going to a single engine carrier based fighter is the right move for longevity over water. Only time will tell, the F-35 looks like it is superior to the F/A18-C on paper. BTW, the Gunslingers just got back stateside in August 2020 from a deployment. Thanks for the comment and visit!!
Yeah, that single engine v.s. dual goes against carrier operations of the past, remains to be seen.
11-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Doing ok, Larry. I'm in SoCal now, taking care of my aging parents. I'm missing Texas and family, but I'm finding some new and interesting photo ops around here.
Grab some great ones, My Friend!!
11-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome! I never tire of seeing and hearing airplanes. Especially military jets!
11-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Yeah, that single engine v.s. dual goes against carrier operations of the past, remains to be seen.
I think there have only been a couple of jet engine Navy fighter/attack aircraft that have been single engine since around the time of Vietnam the A4D and the A7. So I guess the powers that be in the Defense Department made the decision that the safety of a single engine aircraft over water was a gamble they were willing to take.

Larry
11-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Awesome! I never tire of seeing and hearing airplanes. Especially military jets!
Many thanks, I've always been fascinated by military aircraft. Seeing them daily is a treat! Thanks for the visit!!