Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Claire Alone
Posted By: Sailor, 11-09-2008, 03:47 PM

My granddaughter Claire has spent the day with us today, and I shot this picture of her from behind in one of our local parks. Because of the strangers in the distance and her physical isolation implied by my framing, this image struck me as . . . . . well, sort of sad. I've posted it here in color and B&W - I think I prefer the color version, but I'm not sure; I'd be happy to hear comments. BTW, Claire has been anything but melancholy. She has managed to exhaust both her grandma and I, playing joyfully from 6:30 AM to 3:30PM; I was only able to get this shot because she declared herself the "leader" and strutted out ahead of us.

She is now mercifully asleep, allowing Connie and I to recover to some degree.

Jer

Views: 2,497
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have found a right moment. The position of left arm creates something ... I don't know what. I think you could crop a little bit from the up, but that is just my view.

My heart beats for b&w, it creates more intensive image.
11-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I rather like this picture. The people up front with their companions make a nice contrast as you say. The arms and short stride capture childishness, an examining and testing and experimenting in the world, whereas many pictures of children only show a young person. At least, that's my initial impression.

I like the color version more, although I think B&W has huge potential. One problem is that the dark green shirt of the man in the background fades away with color but jumps out in B&W. And I like how the green and blue and pink (shoes) contrast in color. But those contrasts might allow you to develop the B&W version, say by making the blues darker to cement the girl as the central figure. I'm wondering what it would look like if the folds on her back went to a full black, contrasted against the highlights on her shoulder...

Anyhow. Nice picture. :-)
11-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Damn Brit

I like the B&W Jer, I think it fits the mood of the shot. It makes one ask questions because you can't see her face. Is she lost, is she just looking at the people up ahead, is she thinking random thoughts. Nice work.

11-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the B+W conversion better. More sentimental sort of way.
11-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I love the BW version , too . Well done !
11-10-2008, 02:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ahh the joys of grand kids ,luckily for some they only visit and not live(although always welcome)

cheers

11-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Of these two versions, I prefer the colour version. The B&W version highlights the shadows on the path and renders the central figure so dark that it almost becomes a negative shape.

The colour version, on the other hand, has a nice warm tone overall, the sun gives her hair a lovely golden touch and the blue of the dress makes her stand out very well. The "cold" blue against the warm background emphasises her special position (which I would call "isolation" but perhaps uniqueness). There is no mistaking what the point of the picture in the colour version is.

Just my NZ$ 0.02.
11-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice shot Jer - I am torn but leaning towards the color. Both are good. Great way to spend a day with the grandaughter - I am hoping that activity is a ways out yet for me hahah (19 year old daughter )
11-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Syb
Veteran Member

You know, there is a possibility to crop the strangers out of the picture. If you chop off the strangers... that would make the image stronger in my view. But that's just me...

Ciao!
11-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although it's possible to crop the image, I don't think it would help. One of the appeals of the shot is the length of the path going off into the OOF distance. IMHO leave it as is. I like the colour version a bit better althogh the B&W has a nice mood to it. Well done either way!
11-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I've carried my camera on a lot of walks looking for a shot like this, alas my daughters never want to cooperate.

Nice photo. Personally I prefer the B/W but both are nice.
11-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kurt Quote
You have found a right moment. The position of left arm creates something ... I don't know what. I think you could crop a little bit from the up, but that is just my view.

My heart beats for b&w, it creates more intensive image.
Thanks much, Kurt. I'll play around with cropping.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
I rather like this picture. The people up front with their companions make a nice contrast as you say. The arms and short stride capture childishness, an examining and testing and experimenting in the world, whereas many pictures of children only show a young person. At least, that's my initial impression.

I like the color version more, although I think B&W has huge potential. One problem is that the dark green shirt of the man in the background fades away with color but jumps out in B&W. And I like how the green and blue and pink (shoes) contrast in color. But those contrasts might allow you to develop the B&W version, say by making the blues darker to cement the girl as the central figure. I'm wondering what it would look like if the folds on her back went to a full black, contrasted against the highlights on her shoulder...

Anyhow. Nice picture. :-)
Nice ideas - gives me something to play with. Thanks.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I like the B&W Jer, I think it fits the mood of the shot. It makes one ask questions because you can't see her face. Is she lost, is she just looking at the people up ahead, is she thinking random thoughts. Nice work.
I appreciate it, Gary. I felt the same way - although I must confess those ideas came only after looking at the results on my computer, not when I made the shot.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like the B+W conversion better. More sentimental sort of way.
You're the master - I gotta pay attention! Thanks much, James.
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
I love the BW version , too . Well done !
Thanks much - looks like B&W is winning.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Ahh the joys of grand kids ,luckily for some they only visit and not live(although always welcome)

cheers
Absolutely, my friend. She can wear out an old geezer, like me.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Of these two versions, I prefer the colour version. The B&W version highlights the shadows on the path and renders the central figure so dark that it almost becomes a negative shape.

The colour version, on the other hand, has a nice warm tone overall, the sun gives her hair a lovely golden touch and the blue of the dress makes her stand out very well. The "cold" blue against the warm background emphasises her special position (which I would call "isolation" but perhaps uniqueness). There is no mistaking what the point of the picture in the colour version is.

Just my NZ$ 0.02.
NZ cents are probably worth more than US cents, these days. I appreciate the thoughtful comments.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shot Jer - I am torn but leaning towards the color. Both are good. Great way to spend a day with the grandaughter - I am hoping that activity is a ways out yet for me hahah (19 year old daughter )
Hey, Dave - spoiling grand kids is a parent's revenge.

Jer
11-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
You know, there is a possibility to crop the strangers out of the picture. If you chop off the strangers... that would make the image stronger in my view. But that's just me...

Ciao!
I'll give it a try, Syb. Thanks,

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Although it's possible to crop the image, I don't think it would help. One of the appeals of the shot is the length of the path going off into the OOF distance. IMHO leave it as is. I like the colour version a bit better althogh the B&W has a nice mood to it. Well done either way!
Thanks, Peter, for the very kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
I've carried my camera on a lot of walks looking for a shot like this, alas my daughters never want to cooperate.

Nice photo. Personally I prefer the B/W but both are nice.
For me, catching these kinds of pictures is more a matter of luck than anything else. Thanks for the nice words.

Jer