Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Crested Pigeon looking after young in hazardous environment
Lens: 50mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Residential, Melbourne Australia ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: John in OZ, 10-31-2020, 03:35 AM

Young pigeon was left clutching air as the nest fell apart. Too young to fly. Now being cared for by parents in the ferns below. Been a couple of days now. So far so good. A few cats a foxes are easily able to traverse this environment.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Views: 511
10-31-2020, 04:52 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good shot. Good story. It would only be a couple of days away from flying, I would say. But there are plenty of threats even then. Their nests are so flimsy I am surprised they ever manage to raise any young.
10-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John in OZ Quote
Young pigeon was left clutching air as the nest fell apart. Too young to fly. Now being cared for by parents in the ferns below. Been a couple of days now. So far so good. A few cats a foxes are easily able to traverse this environment.
Nice catch - and nice story.

The only comparable story I'm aware of is when birds living in my parents's yard made a nest in the arbor at their backdoor.
The nest stayed put - but the bird-brains used plastic they found, and in this case, their young died of exposure when the nest held water.