Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Proposal for starting threads
Posted By: JMR, 11-09-2008, 06:18 PM

I don't know about you guys but there are so many posts and threads that I can hardly keep up with them, mine included. Many just pass by with few, if any comments, and that is a shame since many people would like some kind of feedback, especially contructive criticism. I propose that we limit thread starts from any one person, to say, two or three per week, in order to allow everyone the opportunity to have their photos seen by everyone for a reasonable time. We can make an exception for themes, such as "best photos", and others. Anyway, this is just an idea for consideration. What does everyone think?

JMR
Views: 2,083
11-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

a general rule of thumb for me is that i don't make a thread if i only have 1 photo to share.

that's maybe where a thread of your own can come in handy.
1) if you've got 1 photo, add it to your "my pictures" thread
2) if you've got a small collection of 3+ photos, create a new thread describing the shoot, or theme, etc

11-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
a general rule of thumb for me is that i don't make a thread if i only have 1 photo to share.

that's maybe where a thread of your own can come in handy.
1) if you've got 1 photo, add it to your "my pictures" thread
2) if you've got a small collection of 3+ photos, create a new thread describing the shoot, or theme, etc
That sounds like a good idea. I try to start new threads when the series has some sort of theme. If I post a one photo thread, it would have to be something I thought was spectacular (I don't think I've done that yet).

For the most part, my single photos get posted in the POTW thread for that particular week.
11-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Some good ideas in this thread.

I think if people would post more collections of images and less singular image posts it would limit the overall new threads started.

Limit your replies to the all the comments that flood in (this would reduce bumping and help keep new stuff from slipping off the 1st page)

For shots that truely wish to seek C&C post in that section.

Lastly the forum could romote its gallery section more. Most people have a certain style. The gallery would keep the pictures together for a particular photographer and could have an ongoing comment feature there.

Share your great images with other sites/forums that are in need of interesting images and inspiration. I also belong to PentaxWorld. They would welcome new members.

I do like viewing other peoples work here on this site as it is a great reference and source of inspiration.
11-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #19
Damn Brit

I think for some of us this is a place to come and play in an environment that isn't as rigid as the world we work in. Posting pictures is just part of that. Some people do it one way, some do it another but I do agree it would seem more sensible to post several at a time.
POTW is well utilised but under attended, maybe we could have multiple threads going
and have say, macro in one, landscape in another, portraits etc. It will be a bit of a mimic of the Gallery but more spontaneous.

11-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Have separate categories

Why not have separate photo categories? My proposal:

Abstracts & Still Life
Landscapes/Cityscapes/Travel
Macro & Close-ups
Nature/Birds & Wildlife
Portraits/Glamour (Weddings?)
Candids/Street
B&W
IR and alternative processes

That way there is proper segmentation of photo submissions and it stops the Photo Galleries to be one big mess. It would be easier to search too.
11-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

the more threads started, the better in my oppinion.. i love nothing more than to log on, and scan through the the hundreds of images that we fellow pentaxians load on to this lovely website.,(sure, i dont comment every single picture, but i quite often absorb different styles and target subjects that people take shots of, and that inturn, helps me evolve my own style as a photographer.as im sure it would help everyone else in this same way,to those who are willing to look.
i can understand the suggestion of limitation, but at the same time, i beleive the more people post up, the more they can learn,. enthusiasm and photography intertwine perfectly and if members want to post 100 threads per day,. then thats their choice.

DeeVEE
11-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a limited amount of time and some days I may not go online at all and do miss a lot of good photos that probably end up 3 pages back by the time I get around to it. There are some days where I will skim through some threads throughout the forum and maybe reply if I have time. While limiting threads MIGHT insure that I won't miss something, I think it would be a bad thing for the forum. What makes this forum so great it that its lively! There are active threads everywhere on all kinds of topics and lot of people sharing their photos and getting help and feedback. I have joined forums that were dead. A topic would be posted and several days would go by before a reply was made and sometimes no answers at all. I don't often post a picture in this section but do post in POTW and some of the other mini challenges and games. I do try to look through the photos but do miss some. I would say its rare that a photo is posted and nobody looks or comments. This is a growing, lively forum and limiting threads may choke it.
11-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm not sure limiting posts or threads is a good idea... you can't limit creativity and the desire to share it with others.

On the other hand I do like the idea of having a "Pat's Photos" thread for daily misc photos and starting a new thread only for a special series.

Having said that I think that the title of a new thread has a lot to do with my looking into it or not. I have a short attention span and I am sure that I am missing out on some great photos who have a thread title that doesn't "grab" me.

Just my 2 cents...

Pat

11-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #24
Igilligan

I dont want to limit anything

except maybe a little self-censorship... I know that I am guilty of throwing too many "test" shots in a thread... and I will try and hone the posts to a reasonable amount of shots... I just get excited. But as mentioned above... less is more! and I will try to remember that.

But getting carried away can be a good thing, that is what I love about this forum. That there are places for tech talk, and places where we can post our photos just to get some support...
And then there is even the critique thread where we can really get tougher feedback if we want. Few of mine qualify for the critique thread.

The other forum is so fast, and so tech heavy that photos really do drop off fast, unless you are one of the Regulars... I call it the place where photos go to die!

It is so nice to have this forum to actually have friendly dialog about our snaps...

I do get what you are saying about not having the time to comment on as many shots as I would like. Very often I go thru the photo posts, and in my mind I comment on them, only to see the thread the next day and realize I did not actually post a reply... I did it yesterday with MightyMike's sigma post... I sat there in awe of the photos and was sure I had commented. This morning I saw I had not!

Anyway this is just my two cents and 13 photos...
11-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Very often I go thru the photo posts, and in my mind I comment on them, only to see the thread the next day and realize I did not actually post a reply... I did it yesterday with MightyMike's sigma post... I sat there in awe of the photos and was sure I had commented. This morning I saw I had not!

You must be suffering from 'thread apnea' Gus.
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #26
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You must be suffering from 'thread apnea' Gus.
Well that may me the scientific name of it... but my 6 year old just calls it "Oldtimers"
11-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hey Gus it get worse... just wait until you look at a few posts, get yourself out of synch, and end up writing a long winded post about how beautiful a flower is, only to discover when you next log on you posted it in a thread about a car rally. Is that Oldtimers or is it much much worse - LOL
11-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I think the issue of limiting the number of threads is hard to manage.
At some point there comes the "everyone thinks they shot a masterpiece syndrome", a lot of postings, but when viewed critically, some of these submissions may be mediocre or worse, "cannot make it". Perhaps not enough critical assessment beforehand prior to starting a new thread. Unfortunately this can't be helped.

However the fact that there are no separate categories and every thread is lumped together ensures that threads get pushed down very quickly and for many, may not have the time or inclination to navigate through anything beyond Pages 1 & 2. With more members and a wider user base, there's just going to be so many more threads all lumped together. It will get more disorganised if it isn't already so.
11-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #29
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Well that may me the scientific name of it... but my 6 year old just calls it "Oldtimers"
I'm ashamed to admit I have the same prognosis.
11-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #30
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think the issue of limiting the number of threads is hard to manage.
At some point there comes the "everyone thinks they shot a masterpiece syndrome", a lot of postings, but when viewed critically, some of these submissions may be mediocre or worse, "cannot make it". Perhaps not enough critical assessment beforehand prior to starting a new thread. Unfortunately this can't be helped.

However the fact that there are no separate categories and every thread is lumped together ensures that threads get pushed down very quickly and for many, may not have the time or inclination to navigate through anything beyond Pages 1 & 2. With more members and a wider user base, there's just going to be so many more threads all lumped together. It will get more disorganised if it isn't already so.
Organised chaos is a nicer sounding way of putting it Denis.