Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
This is no moon
Lens: Pentax DFA 50 Macro Camera: Pentax K-S2 Photo Location: Near Amiens ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Bertrand3000, 11-01-2020, 08:28 AM

One of my first shot with the DFA 50 Macro (a jewel lens).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Views: 857
11-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Green Sparkles!

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Christmas decorations on the tree always seem like good subjects. Nice shot.
11-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice the detail!

11-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The textur is fabulous.
11-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, it looks like an orange masquerading as a green apple.
11-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks you all for the comments! I tried to capture the unusual texture on this Christmas decoration, and I just got the macro lens at this time, so if I had more time to get familiar to macro photography, I believe I would have done even better.

You can notice on this shot the hexagonal aperture shape on the top left bokeh, thanks to the eight straight blades. I believe it somehow adds to the picture!

11-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I believe I would have done even better.
I'm not sure what better would look like. I think the main objective on a shot like this is to have fun and to take risks and you might stumble on something that works in ways you didn't expect. I say this for two reasons. The first is that you are trying out a new lens, so you may as well have fun and here you have a subject this isn't going to start moving (like an insect or flower in a breeze). The other is that you are inherently shooting a non-macro object. This isn't about getting as close to a small object as to maximize the amount the frame it fills. Rather you have a larger object and you are exploring its texture and surroundings. Even small changes in the position of the main light source could make a significant difference.
11-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'm not sure what better would look like. I think the main objective on a shot like this is to have fun and to take risks and you might stumble on something that works in ways you didn't expect. I say this for two reasons. The first is that you are trying out a new lens, so you may as well have fun and here you have a subject this isn't going to start moving (like an insect or flower in a breeze). The other is that you are inherently shooting a non-macro object. This isn't about getting as close to a small object as to maximize the amount the frame it fills. Rather you have a larger object and you are exploring its texture and surroundings. Even small changes in the position of the main light source could make a significant difference.
Agree completely and well said.
11-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Thank you for those wise words, and after thinking about it for a while, you are perfectly right. Nothing say that I could have done better with better skills with the lens, in fact sometimes lack of experience can lead to interesting pictures I would not have attempted otherwise. I was using a powerful hand-held lamp as a light source in order to make the decoration shines, and as you pointed out, even moving it a little change dramatically the scene!
11-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for those wise words, and after thinking about it for a while, you are perfectly right. Nothing say that I could have done better with better skills with the lens, in fact sometimes lack of experience can lead to interesting pictures I would not have attempted otherwise. I was using a powerful hand-held lamp as a light source in order to make the decoration shines, and as you pointed out, even moving it a little change dramatically the scene!
It isn't just a lack of experience, but a willingness to try things that wouldn't normally be done, with the assumption that none of it may work, but you might also get some pleasant surprises. In my lens buying days, I grabbed a bunch of cheap lenses, including quite a few m42 mounts. Those force you to experiment. Same is true with lighting. When all I had was the pop up flash, I'd sometimes cover it with a handkerchief to diffuse the lighting on a macro shot. The occasional success made the efforts rewarding.
11-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nifty, fun shot!!
11-12-2020, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Great shot, and it looks into the future too!

I mean come on, it's only half past November and you have the tree up!
11-12-2020, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Great shot, and it looks into the future too!
I mean come on, it's only half past November and you have the tree up!
Technically, it looks in the past. This shot was taken in 2019.
Thanks for your comment!
11-15-2020, 05:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of my first shot with the DFA 50 Macro (a jewel lens).
.. but isn't it a Lunar Landing Module at the top ?