Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Comparison of Different DXO Noise Reduction technology
Posted By: Larrymc, 11-06-2020, 06:52 PM

Processed with DXO Hq noise reduction. Compare this with the next "Shooting Da Moon" shot with DXO Deep Denoise technology.

2017 Revisited Shooting Da Moon DXO HQ NR
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Processed this with the new potent DXO Deep Denoise, I'm hooked!

2017 Revisited Shooting Da Moon DXO Deep Denoise Technology
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Views: 972
11-08-2020, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tried it on an old image with the K-30 and Sigma 170-500; 450mm, 1/500th, f/8, ISO 6400.

Prime only:

Deep Prime:

The difference is apparent even on small images like this. At high resolution it is huge.

The downside is that a lot of old photos are now going to bug me until I redo them.

Last edited by Des; 11-08-2020 at 08:25 PM.
11-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I tried it on an old image with the K-30 and Sigma 170-500; 450mm, 1/500th, f/8, ISO 6400.

Prime only:

Deep Prime:

The difference is apparent even on small images like this. At high resolution it is huge.

The downside is that a lot of old photos are now going to bug me until I redo them.
So would you say that Version 4 is much more than small incremental improvements? BTW did you try cranking the Luminance slider up to 100? Doing that with Prime just didn't work out well at all but with DeepPrime it doesn't create a problem.
11-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So would you say that Version 4 is much more than small incremental improvements?
Yes I take it back Larry! It's a huge leap.
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
BTW did you try cranking the Luminance slider up to 100? Doing that with Prime just didn't work out well at all but with DeepPrime it doesn't create a problem.
I just tried this. TBH, I can't see any difference on this image between the default 40 and 100.
11-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After using deep prime.... but with no sharpening added.... send a tiff to "piccure" and see how the image looks.

11-08-2020, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'm the same way. It's actually kind of a pain, tbh.
11-09-2020, 04:33 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Larry for the comparisons . Back in my film days trying to make an image that good was futile in this situation . Bearskins and stone knives could only take us so far .
11-09-2020, 06:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm the same way. It's actually kind of a pain, tbh.
Think about it this way, It will give you something to do between postings to PF.

11-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Thanks Larry for the comparisons . Back in my film days trying to make an image that good was futile in this situation . Bearskins and stone knives could only take us so far .
You are most welcome, just passing along what I have found to be helpful.
11-09-2020, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was looking at PL4 last night as a replacement for Aperture. So it's nice to see this today.To me it's he first software I've looked at that looks like a more advanced version of Aperture without the clunky menu driven software I've looked at to date from other vendors.

I haven't bought it yet but it's under consideration.
11-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
After using deep prime.... but with no sharpening added.... send a tiff to "piccure" and see how the image looks.
Thanks, Noel. Not trying to be terse here, but, At my age, I'm not into multiple operations just to get something I like. PhotoLab 4 does a great job with its noise reduction and sharpening. I might check Piccure out but I doubt if I want another program to learn......way to damn old for that.
11-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was looking at PL4 last night as a replacement for Aperture. So it's nice to see this today.To me it's he first software I've looked at that looks like a more advanced version of Aperture without the clunky menu driven software I've looked at to date from other vendors.

I haven't bought it yet but it's under consideration.
Norm, Try the 30 day free trial of PL4 Elite and give it a chance for a few weeks. It's interface is a bit different but there are numerous tutorials to work with.