Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
16 Likes  
Found this old car in the middle of nowhere !
Posted By: ngrover, 11-09-2020, 12:09 PM

The Canadian prairies have a lot of tales to tell.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 2,118
11-10-2020, 12:23 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ngrover Quote
A really great photo. Very well balanced and unique color, perfectly dynamic composition and a certain look. The light helped unveil the glossy materiality and the background contributed to the story. You were lucky to find that car, but you made the best out of the occasion.

11-10-2020, 03:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Some great shots, the first one is rather surreal and would have been so if you'd just had the buildings in the background. I love photos like that because it makes you wonder what happened to get it in that position.
11-10-2020, 05:24 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great scene! Well captured. I would return to this area again and again in all different light and weather conditions.

11-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

wonderful series! priceless objects , nice framing and apprealing colors.

11-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #20
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if you were going to work on a smaller set of these, it would be the original one and the first two of the extras. They all tell a story of neglect and decay, and of time passing slowly on the prairies.
11-10-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you look closely, there's a tyre resting horizontally on the underside of the car, behind and to the left of the drive shaft, and one up inside the fender, just behind the front bumper, on our right...
It still ain’t going anywhere
11-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super catch, the old Dodge is showing its Torsion Bar front suspension. It's amazing that its not a total rust out.

11-11-2020, 12:07 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Super catch, the old Dodge is showing its Torsion Bar front suspension. It's amazing that its not a total rust out.
Looking at the underside, it's in remarkable condition... All I can see is light surface rust; no rot to speak of. Given that it's probably been sitting belly up like that for some considerable time, that part of Canada must be pretty dry...
11-11-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Looking at the underside, it's in remarkable condition... All I can see is light surface rust; no rot to speak of. Given that it's probably been sitting belly up like that for some considerable time, that part of Canada must be pretty dry...
It is. The prairie provinces ...Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta...are among the drier areas of Canada. We get snow and rain, enough to provide beautiful crops of grain products, etc. but not as much as say as some parts of eastern Canada and the west coast.

At one time not a lot of salt was used on the roads to de ice and prairie vehicles were known to be relatively rust free. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. But back in the 1950's....
11-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done
11-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #26
Forum Member

nice shots!
11-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #27
Forum Member

The car and the buildings in the photo work well together - all in decay. The additional photos are also very good - blue sky and dry grass (harvested crops) work well together.
11-11-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I was pretty lucky to have stumbled across these artifacts.

I'm fascinated by these relics. They are a tangible reminder of what came before us. A real sense of hard-work and hardship. It just comes across so well in a photograph.

These are some of my first shots taken on my Pentax K-3 II ( or any Pentax ). I came to appreciate a feature that I actually thought I'd never care about.... GPS.

I took 126 photos of abandoned buildings (36 unique) over a 1350 KM drive ( Calgary to Winnipeg ). If it were not for the GPS I may never see these things again. Because of the GPS, I can pick out a few places to revisit (with my tripod and better light).

Happy shooting!
11-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I was pretty lucky to have stumbled across these artifacts.

I'm fascinated by these relics. They are a tangible reminder of what came before us. A real sense of hard-work and hardship. It just comes across so well in a photograph.

These are some of my first shots taken on my Pentax K-3 II ( or any Pentax ). I came to appreciate a feature that I actually thought I'd never care about.... GPS.

I took 126 photos of abandoned buildings (36 unique) over a 1350 KM drive ( Calgary to Winnipeg ). If it were not for the GPS I may never see these things again. Because of the GPS, I can pick out a few places to revisit (with my tripod and better light).

Happy shooting!
That is a very good idea, Not being technologically skilled, I haven't thought of using a GPS to identify previous photos locations and given that I like to go down rural back roads looking for subjects...and then return to them later, that would be a very good idea. Thx.
11-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring to go out and find abandoned places and objects to shoot.