Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Stormy weather...
Lens: Ricoh 35-70 Camera: K3 Photo Location: My front room ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Liney, 11-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Had some wild weather a couple of nights ago, so I stuck the camera on a tripod, pointed it out the window, focused to infinity, set the aperture to F22, selected a 30 second exposure and pressed the shutter. Repeated at the end of each exposure until it calmed down.. These are the best..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 1,373
11-11-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done! I tried the same thing a while ago, but there just weren't enough visible lightning strikes from where I was. Some (if not all) of these demonstrate the flow of energy from the ground to the cloud, while we tend to think of it happening in the other direction.
11-11-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are amazing! I've always loved these kinds of shots and it's actually one of the things I've been most excited to try. But I've yet to be able to actually get the camera out during a storm. Seems I'm usually stuck at work during the good storms and only home when it's just plain rain.
11-11-2020, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Well done! I tried the same thing a while ago, but there just weren't enough visible lightning strikes from where I was. Some (if not all) of these demonstrate the flow of energy from the ground to the cloud, while we tend to think of it happening in the other direction.
Thanks. I had it explained to me once that the first "strike" is from the ground to the cloud, which effectively sets up the conditions for the cloud to ground return strike. This has been demonstrated on a couple of videos I've seen with lightning strikes on aircraft.

What is Ground to Cloud Lightning? | Lightning Master Corporation

11-11-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Those are amazing! I've always loved these kinds of shots and it's actually one of the things I've been most excited to try. But I've yet to be able to actually get the camera out during a storm. Seems I'm usually stuck at work during the good storms and only home when it's just plain rain.
Ditto. These are cool photos and on my bucket list of things to shoot, but timing just never works out.
11-11-2020, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Nice series of lightning. I've tried over the years but have not been as successful as you.
11-11-2020, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent capture!

I liked your explanation, as I also haven’t had any luck.

Hang up and DRIVE!

11-12-2020, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Having tried to get lightning images several times with no luck, I am impressed by your results. I may try your way the next time I get a chance. Nice work!
11-13-2020, 01:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Excellent! I love good lightning shots.
11-13-2020, 02:53 AM   #10
Forum Member

good job!
11-18-2020, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

if only there were no drops on a glass in front of the camera, this would be great!!
11-18-2020, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really good work, and I like the raindrops.
11-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
if only there were no drops on a glass in front of the camera, this would be great!!
I have to admit the images were taken from inside the house, this was for two very specific reasons:

First, every time I went to go out the door the memsahib got rather vocal because she was convinced I was going to be hit by lightning,

And secondly it was wet outside....
11-18-2020, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I have to admit the images were taken from inside the house, this was for two very specific reasons:

First, every time I went to go out the door the memsahib got rather vocal because she was convinced I was going to be hit by lightning,

I see you listened to the BOSS.... Cracker Jack captures!! Well done!!
11-19-2020, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote

Both excellent reasons for taking these through the window. Scary stuff with some really nice results.