Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ratliff Ferry Abandoned Railroad Bridge Piers
Lens: HD PENTAX-DA* 11-18mm @ 18mm F2.8 ED DC AW Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Rankin County, MS ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F18 
Posted By: Larrymc, 11-11-2020, 06:10 PM

Took a little road trip Monday and the light was the pits, forecast said mostly sunny on arrival, As it turned out the light was flat so this is about the best I could get, it might look better as a BW monochrome. The area is Ratliff Ferry Located just off the Natchez Trace Parkway on the Pearl River in Rankin County, MS

by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Views: 1,315
11-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why don’t you post this in b&w as a comparison? I know I’d like to see that side by side.
11-11-2020, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WhatsMyNameAD67 Quote
Why don’t you post this in b&w as a comparison? I know I’d like to see that side by side.
Here you go. Processed with DXO Film Pack5 Elite Rollei Retro 100 Tonal with a bit of film grain added.

Ratliff Ferry Abandoned Railroad Bridge Piers, BW
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-11-2020 at 08:27 PM.
11-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Here you go. Processed with DXO Film Pack5 Elite Rollei Retro 100 Tonal with a bit of film grain added.

Ratliff Ferry Abandoned Railroad Bridge Piers, BW
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Nice. I like the b&w version better. The photo has more interest due to the positive and negative spaces created by the trees and sky. My eye is drawn to the sky then trails down to the piers to the water with its light and sank texturing. But more importantly, what do you think?

11-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WhatsMyNameAD67 Quote
Nice. I like the b&w version better. The photo has more interest due to the positive and negative spaces created by the trees and sky. My eye is drawn to the sky then trails down to the piers to the water with its light and sank texturing. But more importantly, what do you think?
Thanks, I thought about BW after I processed the DNG last night but set it aside, then when you suggested the BW I went ahead and processed a virtual copy and exported it to Flickr. The DXO Film Pack has a bunch of nice film emulations that do pretty well. I think the BW looks decent, glad you liked it and I appreciate your analysis of the image.
11-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Took a little road trip Monday and the light was the pits, forecast said mostly sunny on arrival, As it turned out the light was flat so this is about the best I could get, it might look better as a BW monochrome. The area is Ratliff Ferry Located just off the Natchez Trace Parkway on the Pearl River in Rankin County, MS

by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Lovely
11-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
Lovely
Many thanks, i appreciate the comment!!

11-13-2020, 06:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

by Larry Mc, on Flickr
I like the lighting . Fits the mood of a fall day.
11-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
I like the lighting . Fits the mood of a fall day.
Many thanks, I really appreciate the comment!!
11-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

by Larry Mc, on Flickr
I study rivers and it's really incredible how many of these old bridge piers are left behind! I think they look interesting and tell about our history. Nice shot Larrymc!
11-16-2020, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I study rivers and it's really incredible how many of these old bridge piers are left behind! I think they look interesting and tell about our history. Nice shot Larrymc!
Thanks, Stephen, for the comment. The rail road bridge that was on the piers was dismantled in 1961 due to the construction of the Ross Barnett Reservoir that is a 50 square mile freshwater reservoir about 20 miles down stream from these piers. They remain as they do not pose a hazard to small boat river traffic on the Pearl river which is mostly a commercial fishing and recreation river nowadays. They are definitely very interesting. Thanks for viewing!