Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shallow DOF Close-Ups ~ Sigma 24mm F1.8
Posted By: MightyMike, 11-10-2008, 11:00 PM

This is my first photo post in these forums, however I'm a regular poster on dpreview...

My photography group went to Allen Gardens in Toronto, its a small park with a big green house full of all sorts of plants and flowers, I shot all of these with the 24mm F1.8, I even shot one at ISO3200, many of these were shot in manual focus as this is the only lens i'm good at manually focusing. I find the shallow DOF give a very painted artistic look to the photo

Here is my gallery:
Allen Gardens Greenhouse ~ Sigma 24mm F1.8

Here are some of my most favourites...

I just love the colours in these first 2

I like the contrast and micro detail in this one

This one seems to try to reach out at you

An excellent demonstration of how light bends around objects made visible in the bokeh distortion at the edge of the fern leaf

I like the 3D look to this one

I like the perspective, the structure of beams reaching out in all directions

Same type of plant, different angle

Yes ISO3200 is quite usable on the K20D

Believe it or not this is a real plant!

It looks almost like an alien jungle

Just one quick question, how many is too many photos in a post? i went with 11 this time and am worried its too many. I hope i didn't just make an A$$ of myself.
Views: 4,407
11-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are all great images. Welcome... Too many good ones to pick one ot two. JIMBO
11-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Very nice captures; I'm inspired now to see what I can find in this wet weather we have up in the PNW.

I really like #3; that flower seems to pop right out of the picture!
11-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum Mike, that's a terrific first set to post. It's obvious you're a bokeh man. I look forward to seeing more and more and more.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 11-11-2008 at 08:20 PM.
11-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Welcome to the forum Mike, that's a terrific first set to post. It's obvious you're a bokeh man. I look for to seeing more and more and more.
Thanks for the welcome, sure i love bokeh, but you'll soon find i have another side to me and its aviation which really doesn't see bokeh. Thanks for the welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Very nice captures; I'm inspired now to see what I can find in this wet weather we have up in the PNW.

I really like #3; that flower seems to pop right out of the picture!
Thanks legacyb4, i assume you where referring to the 4th picture as the 3rd is a fern I hope you get good shots where you are despite the rain

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
These are all great images. Welcome... Too many good ones to pick one ot two. JIMBO
Thanks Jimbo for your comments and your welcoming me to the forum!
11-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow! Great series. That 2nd shot would've won this month's contest for sure.
11-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Stunning shots, all of them, but the fern (#3) is probably my favorite. You're not helping me believe my "I don't really need the Sigma 24/1.8 since I already have two lenses covering 24mm already" mantra

11-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent shots. Great composition and framing. You have given me some good ideas for future shots. Thanks for sharing.
11-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

I think your second image, if it had a touch more veins in focus would go from good to outstanding. And your last three are very good. Overall very nice work.

Don't worry about having too many images, there is no rule. But the reality is too many makes it difficult for people to be specific in their comments to specific images.

JMR
11-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is the type of photography I keep going back to most of the time myself ... I seem to be attracted to it .... not sure why ... I just find it more pleaseing to my eye that anything else.

As for images per thread ... there is no rule ... but I have read it can be a bit hard for some people with slower internet speeds ... but I do find if you split the images up a bit ... and say 4-5 per post ... but using multiple posts seems to be a little easier.
11-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Wow! Great series. That 2nd shot would've won this month's contest for sure.
Well i guess i missed that contest, too bad! thanks for your cmments

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Stunning shots, all of them, but the fern (#3) is probably my favorite. You're not helping me believe my "I don't really need the Sigma 24/1.8 since I already have two lenses covering 24mm already" mantra
Heh... you made me think, i've got the Sigma 17-70... i guess that is only 1 other lens with 24mm, however with the 10-20 i come close to 2, thanks for your comments
11-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Excellent shots. Great composition and framing. You have given me some good ideas for future shots. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your comments xs400

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I think your second image, if it had a touch more veins in focus would go from good to outstanding. And your last three are very good. Overall very nice work.

Don't worry about having too many images, there is no rule. But the reality is too many makes it difficult for people to be specific in their comments to specific images.

JMR
I'll definitely consider your recommendations for the next time, it looks like splitting the series up into more categories is a good idea, thanks for your comment JMR

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
This is the type of photography I keep going back to most of the time myself ... I seem to be attracted to it .... not sure why ... I just find it more pleaseing to my eye that anything else.

As for images per thread ... there is no rule ... but I have read it can be a bit hard for some people with slower internet speeds ... but I do find if you split the images up a bit ... and say 4-5 per post ... but using multiple posts seems to be a little easier.
I too like this and will eventually make a large enough collection for sale, specifically the very shallow DOF shots, thanks for commenting
11-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mike and welcome, these are as always superb images. Thanks for posting them.
11-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa!

Great stuff, I really like number 2.

Ray
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
jeffkpotter

Very nice! l Love 8,9,10.