Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pics and slide show. Remembrance Day Chalottetown PEI
Posted By: Peter Zack, 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Remembrance Day is always one of those days I find has an impact. It might be that my grandfather fought for England in WW1 and for Canada in WW II. He lied about his age and was tall at 15 (over 6 feet) and fought the last year (1918) as a Black Watch (yup that's a Kilt as part of the dress uniform). Maybe partly because the other side of the family was under occupation in Greece.

I see those old vets and it can't help but feel for what they endured for the rest of us.

I go every year but this year decided to take a couple of cameras and take as many shots as possible. Many of the older vets won't be here much longer. I just wanted something of a record of their participation both today and years past.

As usual it was a cold gray and windy November day. The crowd was maybe 4000 to observe the day.

For our American friends, November 11th at 11 AM is the hour we remember those that sacrificed everything for our freedom. Same as your Veterans day. It's a holiday in this part of Canada and everything is closed as it should be.

The plus of having 2 big cameras and a monopod, is you get freedom to roam as people think you're working.

All the shots were with either the K10D with FA*300mm and AF1.7TC attached (510mm) or K20D and either Sigma 70-200 or DA16-45mm. These are just the Jpegs to save some time going through the shots (I shoot RAW + on both cameras) The RAW's will be worked on later.

The slide show is here:

Picasa Web Albums - Peter - Remembrance D...

Name:  IMGP9475-1.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  20.9 KB
Name:  IMGP9506-1.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  24.5 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP9512-1.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  74.7 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IVP_9511-2.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  104.4 KB
Name:  IMGP9518-1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  27.6 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-11-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Views: 5,271
11-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm going to float this little trial balloon. I was in contact with DeJong (misrere's link) and this is very peliminary, but if you guys and others are interested in photographing WW2 vets, he is interested in putting a project together. It would be over some time and my suggestion to him is that we each cover some of the areas we live, visit the vets, take a couple of good quality portraits and if possible a short bio/story about each. Send them to him. The idea might be to publish a book. I wouldn't expect to be paid but credits to each in the book.

Any thoughts before I write him back?? Here in Canada we can find the people through the legions. I would assume that's possible in the US through a local VA. Not sure about the UK. AU and elsewhere.
Well funny to quote myself but no one has any interest in this I guess? Not a single reply or PM.

11-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

No 3, 4, 5 are my favorite. Your composition is always tasteful.
11-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Sorry Peter, just saw suggestion. I think it is a good idea and would be interested but will not commit at this time of year.

One of the first people that came to mind was a Polish vet whom I've spoken to a couple of times after the Rememberance Day ceremony.
11-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #34
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
JC, This wouldn't be something that would start right away anyway. It would take time to organize and start. I just wanted to see if there was any interest first. I'll start a new thread and see what type of response I get.