Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Before & After
Posted By: vroom_skies, 11-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Here is a shot I took last night.
I wasn't to pleased with the initial image, so I tore it up in photoshop.

what do ya think?

Original:

Edited:

Also, feel free to post some of yours,
Bob
Views: 1,405
11-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
jeffkpotter

That's quite a shocking difference! There's so much one can do with PP. In some ways I like the first best, but the 2nd is more graphic and it's warmer colors are appealing.
11-12-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would have liked the shot better if you convert the first shot to black and white

The coloured versiion has a lot of unreal hue to it with sharpening halos along edges...

I tend to do the type of processing you d0 with the 2nd shot and it often fails to grab approval from majority of people.
11-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the modification. It may be over the top, though. I agree on the risk of sharpening halos. Could you make a B&W version too, maybe even a sepia version, so that this forum can pick the best?

This proves to me that initially non-appealing pics may turn out to be very nice after some PP-work!

Cheers,

11-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i completely agree with jimi.. keeping the 1st shot the way it is, just in black n white or even perhaps a sepia tone? the polarised effect in the waters reflection of the boat,due to the contrast/levels adjustment is far too noisy. i would stick with the 1st image mate.

DeeVee

ps- i did a quik edit . hope you dont mind. i used neatimage pro, to soften the photo and eliminate the excess noise,
Attached Images

Last edited by distorted_vision; 11-12-2008 at 04:43 AM.
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ha, thanks you guys. The edit was far over the top and it was obvious that it wouldn't appeal to many pople.
I find that I'm one that doesn't mind the over sharpened look & I like the way the colors workin the edit, even though they aren't the natural ones lol.

Actually the edited shot didn't have anywhere near the amount of noise I expected it to have.
For the amount of overall editing and then the heavy sharpening ontop of that I was expecting it to be quite bad, but I was pleseantly surprised. The high contrast look doesn't help for one to think low noise though lol.

I did run it through Neatimage & the result wasn't that much better then the edited shot. So I decided to keep the edit as is.

And for the record, I don't mind you editing my shots at all. Always nice to see how other people would go with an edit.

Thanks for the comments
11-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I like the editing, but I don't like the rocks in the foreground. They distract me from the subject. I would crop the image differently.

11-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

Why not try an Orton image. It looks like a suitable candidate to me.

JMR
11-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
definitely a big difference, and to better I must say. But still. I'd crop off all the lower portion of the pic, with the OOF foreground rocks. It's too distracting IMHO.
BR
11-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I would agree with the others...

I like the warmer tones and the exposure treatment...in fact, I like them better than the b/w image (althought that looks good also).
It looks too oversharpened though.
I would also crop out the rocks at the bottom of the image, as the boat is the focal point, and the rocks are out of focus.
Perhaps a landscape crop around the boat with some of the dock would work better, rather than a portrait crop.

Nice work!

c[_]