Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Gratuitous leaf post
Posted By: heliphoto, 11-12-2008, 10:37 AM

As if there wasn't enough bandwidth being wasted on leaves already, here's some more...

both with the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8

Views: 1,339
11-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Igilligan

I like #2

Oh, the fall leaves...

I like the balance of the colors in the second one. How the yellow/reds in the lower right flow into the greens in the upper left.

Definately the stronger composition of the two shots...
11-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Gus, I totally agree and I liked that repeating, fading, color-changing pattern in #2. #1 is such a cliché, I just had to post it. #2 was actually pretty poorly composed, but saved to this extend by a big crop.
11-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Oh leaf it out Josh.

I like the second one, it has a layered look about it (almost holographic) and a lot of depth. Great colours as well.

11-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great composition and contrast on the two shots.

The first shot is a little oversharpened including the background blur. A small nuisance here. The overall effect is stunning.
11-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Thanks Gus, I totally agree and I liked that repeating, fading, color-changing pattern in #2. #1 is such a cliché, I just had to post it. #2 was actually pretty poorly composed, but saved to this extend by a big crop.

Cliche or not I love #1
11-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Oh leaf it out Josh.

I like the second one, it has a layered look about it (almost holographic) and a lot of depth. Great colours as well.
Thanks Gary.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Great composition and contrast on the two shots.

The first shot is a little oversharpened including the background blur. A small nuisance here. The overall effect is stunning.
Interesting that it looks oversharpened to you. I didn't touch the sharpening controls in lightroom, so this is only the default Lr sharpening (which I've found to be less than that applied to the in camera jpeg's I've shot lately), Smugmug (the host of the photo) resizes images it serves using imagemagick, and applies a USM sharpening after resizing... in this case the default was left as well (same settings for the other image here as well). I do think the Sigma 24-60/2.8 has rather harsh bokeh in general, so maybe that's contributing to what you see... It's also an extremely sharp lens. I'm glad you enjoyed the shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Cliche or not I love #1
Cool!, I'm glad you do...

This post went un-commented-on all day before Gus found it, and I was going to let it fade away and chalk it up to "leaf fatigue," so thanks for commenting everyone.