Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  
The sea is reclaiming this land
Posted By: Fries, 12-12-2020, 11:49 AM

I used a 10 stops ND filter to make these photo's.

Cheers,

Remco

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 930
12-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Makes me wish I lived by the sea or at least on Lake Superior.

12-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #17

Nice photos, now I need to buy a ND filter!
Love the sky in the second one!
12-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #18
Urs
Pentaxian

Love those colors well done congrats!
12-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Second one is stunning.... 2 pm, the weather was sunny at that time?
Thanks Belcik! The second one certainly is the most dramatic of the two. Glad you like that one! The photo was taken at 16.20 just about at sundown.
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
So very gorgeous.
Thanks for the compliment!

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I have done a like which is for the second photograph, thank you.

Regards,
Gordon.
Thank you Gordon! Glad one of them was to your liking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific photos, Remco.

Jer
Jer, my friend! Thanks for showing your appreciation.

12-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm in the process of moving to the coast, Anglesey and it is inspirational photos like these that are part of the appeal for me.

Keep them coming
12-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simsburyphoto Quote
Great photos
Thanks! I have been shooting along this coast for ages so I eventually you do get some keepers.
QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
great photos! I like how the long aperture makes the land and rock pop
It is more the long shutter speed that produces this effect though. Thanks for commenting and appreciating what I try to achieve. You can't know this but what looks like rock is clay which has been deposed there by the sea and the sea is taking it back...

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Well executed long exposure. I love the “so-so” approach on time. At first I thought I would have liked it more centered , but I looked at it for some minutes and I think I prefer the asymmetric way of your framing. The color is very balanced but not grounded.
The second shot is more complex, though the particular scene elements are simple and have been given a good pp work. The contradictions are working to our favor. Sea/earth, the reflection in the landscape, the different temperatures in the left/right parts of the sky, even the “minimum” human element (fencing), they are all set right. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for you analyses of both photo's Michail! In the first the two pieces of surviving clay in the sea in the foreground was the main anchor point of the composition. Getting the wooden remains of that land defense in perfect symmetry was of secondary importance. In the second photo I tried to get some features placed upon the points where the lines are crossing in the rule of thirds on the back of my camera. In my flat country and especially on the coast of the Waddensea the landscape often looks fairly simple with not that many elements. But colors and the sky can change very fast. On this day not to much was happening so I decided to use the movement of the clouds to give the scene something extra.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I love both shots. They are stunning.
Thanks Bertrand!

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
The melted details from the long exposure and the color tones make these frames very peaceful and harmonic, kudos!
Sokol, thank you! I was mainly interested in getting the movement in the sky. I made some layers to make different edits to different parts of the photo using Capture One and Color Efex.
QuoteOriginally posted by Risxsoul Quote
Beautiful
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
One very beautiful series. Great job. )

tt
Tony, thank you very much!

QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
oh yes!
Yes! Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-13-20 at 11:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You might have done better posting these two photos as separate threads. While there is a lot to like about the first photo, it is somewhat overwhelmed by the complexity and contrasts in the second image. They are both great shots, but tell very different stories.
Marc, your advice certainly has merit! I choose to use both of them in the same topic because they were both taken from almost the same spot; I think the second one is about 50 meters from the first one. And I made them on the same afternoon. The theme of land loosing the battle with the sea is present in both images. And personally I am not a fan of posting multiple images in multiple topics. There are more photographers that deserve some attention and I don't want to impose my self too much with lots of different entries.

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
There is something to be said about a series of images though. While they would have been great on their own, a series of photographs helps tell a story more thoroughly. In this case, they're better together.

Love it! Well done on both images!
Thank you! On social media I did split them up, but with some time in between and using the same sort of title to indicate the images were connected.

---------- Post added 12-14-20 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Makes me wish I lived by the sea or at least on Lake Superior.
I do sympathise! As a journalist specialized in conservation efforts I do get to do some special stuff in nice places... My country is very densely populated and I am grateful I live up north were there is still is some space and nature.

I had a look on the map and there seem to be some nice places for photography near you. Carlyle Lake looked allright. Especially the northern part where there is some woodland and perhaps some swamps. But I haven't been to the US and I am only basing my opinion on Apple maps.

QuoteOriginally posted by HghlnDR Quote
Nice photos, now I need to buy a ND filter!
Love the sky in the second one!
Thanks Davide! Start with the 10 stops one and work you way down if you want, is my advice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Urs Quote
Love those colors well done congrats!
Thanks for the congratulations!

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
I'm in the process of moving to the coast, Anglesey and it is inspirational photos like these that are part of the appeal for me.

Keep them coming
Good for you moving to a place that inspires you. These are trying times and we all can use some solace and diversion from everyday life in the beauty that nature offers us. Thanks Simon!

Last edited by Fries; 12-13-2020 at 04:21 PM.
12-13-2020, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #22
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is something to be said about a series of images though. While they would have been great on their own, a series of photographs helps tell a story more thoroughly. In this case, they're better together.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Marc, your advice certainly has merit! I choose to use both of them in the same topic because they were both taken from almost the same spot; I think the second one is about 50 meters from the first one. And I made them on the same afternoon. The theme of land loosing the battle with the sea is present in both images. And personally I am not a fan of posting multiple images in multiple topics. There are more photographers that deserve some attention and I don't want to impose my self too much with lots of different entries.
I hear what you are both saying and certainly if they are part of the same story they belong together. To my eye, they come across as very different stories. They don't feel like they were shot at the same time or place. That's just the impression I got, although hearing about the context and location and the way you see the theme does tie them together.

12-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I hear what you are both saying and certainly if they are part of the same story they belong together. To my eye, they come across as very different stories. They don't feel like they were shot at the same time or place. That's just the impression I got, although hearing about the context and location and the way you see the theme does tie them together.
I hear what you're saying too. Perhaps knowing the story behind them helps them work together, and maybe that's the only reason why... alas we shall never know, because we do know the story behind it.
12-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

You need the fishing rod to complete the picture
12-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #25

Thanks Davide! Start with the 10 stops one and work you way down if you want, is my advice.
Just what I had in mind!
12-14-2020, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hear what you're saying too. Perhaps knowing the story behind them helps them work together, and maybe that's the only reason why... alas we shall never know, because we do know the story behind it.
Both of you thanks for taking the time to discus this. One of the major benefits of sharing photo's here is having some fresh eye's looking at your work. Having comments in good faith telling me that the combination of these two photo's does not tell the story well enough is an opportunity to learn I can profit from.

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
You need the fishing rod to complete the picture
My photography has taken over my former hobby; fishing! My rods rarely leave my house anymore. Only when I have an opportunity to fish in Northern Scandinavia my fly rods do get some use...

QuoteOriginally posted by HghlnDR Quote
Just what I had in mind!
Good luck with that new chapter in your photography!