Camera: K3 II Photo Location: Wisconsin 
Posted By: Mooncatt, 12-13-2020, 02:46 AM

Playing around with light tonight.

First photo
DA 50mm 1.8
2"
f4.5
ISO 100

Started the exposure with everything in focus. During the exposure, I manually defocused a bit. This gave the lights an exaggerated bokeh that separates them from the rest of the tree, and also gives the entire image an almost dreamy look. The second photo is a crop of the first to show detail. Notice the ornaments and tree needles are still relatively sharp.

Last photo
DA 18-135 WR
6"
f10
ISO 200

I think I started this exposure at the 18mm end, let it expose for a couple seconds, then slowly zoomed in during that same exposure to the 135mm end. (It may have been started at the 135mm end and zoomed out, but don't remember which way I worked it). This gives the light trails while keeping most everything else exposed as normal.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 354
12-13-2020, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
great play with the light. i like it
12-13-2020, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I often try these focus and zoom games. They’re quite interesting and the artistic results is something new , refreshing. I like your approach.
12-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd already seen zoom game results, but not focus games (nor had I imagined playing such). I really like the focus game results. There was a belgian photographer by the name of Hubert Grooteclaes who, among other 'games', enjoyed defocusing the enlarger lens when in the darkroom, rendering characteristically 'dreamy' prints from otherwise perfectly focused negatives. Some images can be seen on the following page, some both in and out of focus.

Léo Ferré