Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Nomination for the M20/4
Posted By: Serkevan, 12-13-2020, 08:49 AM

My nomination is the Pentax-M 20mm f/4 pancake (SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). While on the trail or during a travel, there is just no excuse to leave this tiny ninja at home for the moments when UWA will help.

Really a toss up between this and the 77 Limited for me... Ultimately, I think that for my photography the M20 is "better". That, and I know the Limited will get its fair share of nominations

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 297
06-17-2021, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
My nomination is the Pentax-M 20mm f/4 pancake (SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). While on the trail or during a travel, there is just no excuse to leave this tiny ninja at home for the moments when UWA will help.

Really a toss up between this and the 77 Limited for me... Ultimately, I think that for my photography the M20 is "better". That, and I know the Limited will get its fair share of nominations
Is this the place from where M C Escher got his inspiration ??
06-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
I sure get that comment a lot... and it's part of why I went for B/W!
06-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
Although it's tempting to suggest it, Escher had his own obsession with tesselations.

It's a great image - I am guessing that this temple is in India somewhere?

06-17-2021, 07:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It's a great image - I am guessing that this temple is in India somewhere?
Looks like Chand Baori which is a stepwell, many are found in India and Pakistan. From what I've read is that while many are close to temples or have temples adjoining them, the stepwell itself isn't a temple.
06-17-2021, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
Looks like Chand Baori which is a stepwell, many are found in India and Pakistan. From what I've read is that while many are close to temples or have temples adjoining them, the stepwell itself isn't a temple.
OK, thanks! If you're right and it's Chand Baori, there's an adjoining temple but as you say, this is a well not a temple. I learned something today!
06-18-2021, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, thanks! If you're right and it's Chand Baori, there's an adjoining temple but as you say, this is a well not a temple. I learned something today!
Close, but no cigar. It's indeed a stepwell in Rajasthan (thus the very similar style to Chand Baori), but this one is Panna Meena ka Kund (according to Google Maps - we were not told the name there, or I don't remember if we were ) just outside Amer Fort in Jaipur.

06-18-2021, 02:55 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Close, but no cigar. It's indeed a stepwell in Rajasthan (thus the very similar style to Chand Baori), but this one is Panna Meena ka Kund (according to Google Maps - we were not told the name there, or I don't remember if we were ) just outside Amer Fort in Jaipur.
Thanks! Just across the road from a temple, too.
06-18-2021, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! Just across the road from a temple, too.
Yup! From what I heard, stepwells were used for ceremonies, as water has a special significance in the desert; the wells definitely had a religious significance despite not being temples per se (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).
06-18-2021, 05:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent composition and great choice for black & white!
06-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent composition and great choice for black & white!
Thanks! It's honestly one of my favourite shots... that's why I printed it big!
06-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ah my mistake! I just saw a photo of Chand Baori a while back and was fascinated by it and yours reminded me of it.
06-19-2021, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah my mistake! I just saw a photo of Chand Baori a while back and was fascinated by it and yours reminded me of it.
No worries! Chand Baori is far better known, I'd wager, and they are very similar (I'd have liked to see the other one and so many other things, but alas, travel logistics...)
06-20-2021, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yup! From what I heard, stepwells were used for ceremonies, as water has a special significance in the desert; the wells definitely had a religious significance despite not being temples per se (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Water plays a big part in Indian religion - just look at the events around bathing in the Ganges. So it makes sense. Water plays a significant role in most religions for that matter...
06-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

a lot of patterns, cool!