Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
14 Likes  #1
Loneliness
Lens: SMC Pentax-F 50mm f/1.7 Camera: K-1 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Serkevan, 12-14-2020, 05:59 AM

With the new lockdown starting here today, I think it's fitting to revisit the March/April one...

Taken in the city center of Dresden while walking to the only supermarket open on a Sunday during the initial Covid restrictions. I do think that the girl just sitting in the sun contrasts well with the, otherwise, completely empty square.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,081
12-14-2020, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Nice shot. Oh, the times we live in...
12-14-2020, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, a truly poignant image! As my wife and I contemplate Christmas without our house filed with our daughters, sons-in-law and granddaughters, this picture really reflects the lonely feelings I have.

Jer
12-14-2020, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done! I can hear and feel the silence. Perfect image.

12-14-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you all enjoy the image, even if the subject matter is a tad somber...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, a truly poignant image! As my wife and I contemplate Christmas without our house filed with our daughters, sons-in-law and granddaughters, this picture really reflects the lonely feelings I have.

Jer
It is... I myself have decided that flying back to Spain wouldn't be safe (two buses plus two flights, being around my grandma... ), so I'll be spending Christmas alone (or, if the regulations allow, with a friend from work in the same situation).
But, while it's a shame to not be able to meet for the holidays, it's also not a tragedy and it's what must be done if we want this thing to be over. Luckily, Skype exists and we will have arrangements to (virtually) have the important moments with friends and family so it's all good .
12-15-2020, 06:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Captured the sound of silence.
12-15-2020, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poignant image.Well done. Looks great in b&w.

12-15-2020, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

These times certainly did give some unique sights. Most of the time I didn't have a camera on me but I remember thinking "I'll never see this again."
12-15-2020, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Good job capturing solitude.
12-15-2020, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might have titled this "Isolation" because ideally that it what we need to do - be isolated from each other - but we should still find ways not to be lonely or alone. Image tells a story.
12-15-2020, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What an intriguing image! Love the way it looks in b&w. I've come back to it a few times before commenting, and it brings something new to mind each time. There's the contrast of the one person in the large, empty square; the woman also looks fairly young but the buildings and paving are clearly aged; something about the leading lines just keep drawing me into (and around!) the image; even the banner with the Biblical reference! Thanks so much for sharing!
12-15-2020, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nicely done. )

tt
12-16-2020, 04:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the lovely comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I might have titled this "Isolation" because ideally that it what we need to do - be isolated from each other - but we should still find ways not to be lonely or alone. Image tells a story.
I cannot believe I missed this opportunity. You're absolutely right, it would have been so much better .

---------- Post added 12-16-20 at 04:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
What an intriguing image! Love the way it looks in b&w. I've come back to it a few times before commenting, and it brings something new to mind each time. There's the contrast of the one person in the large, empty square; the woman also looks fairly young but the buildings and paving are clearly aged; something about the leading lines just keep drawing me into (and around!) the image; even the banner with the Biblical reference! Thanks so much for sharing!
Thanks! The girl was indeed young - I'd wager early twenties?

The banner had been hanging for a while on the church's wall, I think (but can't be sure right now) it was in reference to the anniversary of the Dresden bombing in 1945.

Interestingly, the buildings themselves are (save for the darkened stones on the church) relatively new - the entire area had to be rebuilt after the bombings, but they followed the original style and the Frauenkirche itself was rebuilt using the master blueprints and whatever stones were still usable, which is why some blocks are lighter and others darker.

What I liked most of the scene was the contrast of the shaded and sunbathed areas, how the sun fell squarely on the "younger" parts - the church's door and the girl herself.
12-16-2020, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is definitely an image for our times. Wonderful composition and b&w processing.
12-16-2020, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

Thanks! The girl was indeed young - I'd wager early twenties?

The banner had been hanging for a while on the church's wall, I think (but can't be sure right now) it was in reference to the anniversary of the Dresden bombing in 1945.

Interestingly, the buildings themselves are (save for the darkened stones on the church) relatively new - the entire area had to be rebuilt after the bombings, but they followed the original style and the Frauenkirche itself was rebuilt using the master blueprints and whatever stones were still usable, which is why some blocks are lighter and others darker.

What I liked most of the scene was the contrast of the shaded and sunbathed areas, how the sun fell squarely on the "younger" parts - the church's door and the girl herself.
Ah, I'd missed this was Dresden. I should have realized it's not as old as it looks. That adds more ambiguity (and interest) for me, though! Especially since the assumedly young woman's face is hidden, so my assumption there is just as suspect! That's yet another layer of meaning I can glean from the image.. so rewarding! If this were one I'd taken I'd certainly print it and find the wall space for it!