Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Bokeh from two very different Vintage lenses SMC Takumar & Meyer-Optik Domiplan
Posted By: stemked, 12-17-2020, 07:50 PM

As a young kid, my first SLR was a Praticka FX. On it was a 50mm f2.8 Meyer-Optik Domiplan. I hated the camera and sold it to someone who was interested in the "Occupied USSR" stamped on it. But after seeing some of it's modern magic I just reobtained it, along with another Praticka body ($40 both), and compared it to my 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar on a K5iis. To say the least, I was amazed at what I saw with the Domiplan. I gained a new level of respect for that ancient lens. Whereas the Takumar makes bubbles, the Domiplan makes balls. Very appealing. The images below went through no post processing.
Takumar @1.4

Domiplan @f2

Views: 555
12-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting. My first though was the magic Christmas mushroom. I have not deliberately messed with out of focus images much.
12-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The potential problem in interpreting this is:
-- what were their respective focus at (it does seem they were different, by a lot)
-- and also they are not at same f-stop (f/1.4 vs f/2), and the one at f/2 could conceivably off by a stop (meaning internally the aperture size is off), making it f/1.4 vs f/2.8.
The results are very interesting and I think likely these lenses have very different rendering, but I wonder if we are comparing more than just lens differences.
12-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice. I prefer the look of the Takumar over the Domiplan.

12-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting.... I'm only looking at this on my phone but I think I prefer the Takumar. To my eyes, the bokeh looks smoother than the Domiplan.
12-18-2020, 03:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two very different , interesting results. The bokeh is a technical but also an artistic matter. I like the smoothies of the first photo, but for some reason my eyes wonder on the second. It certainly has some character.
There’s apparently a difference between the two, exposure related. But the rendering of the two is so different.
12-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Neat! I love the first one. Playing with RC telescopes now, it almst looks like the second lens is out of collimation the way the circles are elongated and not concentric...

12-18-2020, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Both very nice, although I'm not sure the differences are due only to the lenses (as stated by dms above). My preference goes to the second - the first is a bit too much of a 'look at the bokeh' image, whereas the second is mysterious and fun, all-out abstract yet somewhat figurative (one can imagine a bunch of balloons floating in the air)... Great shot.
12-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
However, the Domiplan has an ugly side too. While it does create wild bokeh wide open, wide open it is also one of the most un-sharp lens I've ever owned.
Yep...and of course there is the busy stuff at other than wide open.

Steve