Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Season Comes to an End
Posted By: mel, 11-14-2008, 05:38 AM

So now I'll have to find something different to shoot.

We had our last weekend of soccer (sniff). The older boys' game was at 8am under a heavy overcast sky that sort of broke up and let some sunlight through toward the end of the second half. So it was pretty dark and my shutter wasn't as fast as I would have liked it to have been. But here's a few from a hard fought tournament game on a really lousy field. U16 boys, we're white and blue. I know all the changing leaves in the background are a bit of distraction but I can't help that.

Not really an action shot, but as a goalkeeper myself, something about this one kind of appealed to me

Views: 2,743
11-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Now for the little guys

Later on in the day, I went to my twins' game. I took a few shots during warm-up with my Tak 200, then ended up reffing the game due to a scheduling snafu. So I didn't get to take any shots during the game. It's really really hard to call a foul on your own kid.

11-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots. we already moved from soccer to basketball this week. May try and do some off camer flash stuff in the lightly lite gym ;(

I like the goally shot and really like #1 but would lose the big rusty poles in the background
11-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

MEL,

Great shots, I especially like the ones with the players in the air.

Ray

11-14-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

OK so now you can shoot some more landscapes! hehehe

Nice shots Mel. Sorry the season is over cause I know you love shooting these (and you are very very good at it!).

p.s. I did not mean to keep the Difficult Run shoot to myself. I went after work on a whim when I noticed how cloudy and dismal it was. It was perfect weather for doing long exposure stream shots.
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great shots. we already moved from soccer to basketball this week. May try and do some off camer flash stuff in the lightly lite gym ;(

I like the goally shot and really like #1 but would lose the big rusty poles in the background
Thanks. I think I'll pass on the taking out of poles. I'm not planning to do anything exciting with these shots so I don't think it's worth the time really lol.

Good luck with the basketball. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get with your flash plans.

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
MEL,

Great shots, I especially like the ones with the players in the air.

Ray
Thanks! I like capturing them in the air. And the players really like seeing those shots as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
OK so now you can shoot some more landscapes! hehehe

Nice shots Mel. Sorry the season is over cause I know you love shooting these (and you are very very good at it!).

p.s. I did not mean to keep the Difficult Run shoot to myself. I went after work on a whim when I noticed how cloudy and dismal it was. It was perfect weather for doing long exposure stream shots.
Thanks Mike, and yeah, perfect time for landscapes now that everything is dead and dying! I was just giving you a hard time about the falls thing. Those are cool shots.
11-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice series Mel. Really like #3 of the goalkeeper. Shows the isolation of being a keeper and the in focus net that he protects. Shame this is the last for the season...maybe indoor soccer in the off season?

11-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

One season down - just means new oppertunities - Excellent series some real keepers there.
11-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice series again, Mel! My favourite in the first series is the second last, which gives a nice feeling of depth, you can feel being inside the game in that image!
11-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all!

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Nice series Mel. Really like #3 of the goalkeeper. Shows the isolation of being a keeper and the in focus net that he protects. Shame this is the last for the season...maybe indoor soccer in the off season?
Yes exactly. I play indoor year around and outdoor here and there. I play goalkeeper full-time indoor and yes there is a bit of isolation there. You are a part of the team but the role is so different and at the end of that attack it comes down to you and stopping the ball from hitting that net. Even if my defense totally falls apart and I have three attackers coming at me, I still feel responsible for "letting" the ball get by me. In that shot, the keeper turning away from the play on the field (he had just sent the ball forward), along with the selective focus, seemed to typify that feeling.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
One season down - just means new oppertunities - Excellent series some real keepers there.
Thanks! Yeah, maybe we'll get some snow this year.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice series again, Mel! My favourite in the first series is the second last, which gives a nice feeling of depth, you can feel being inside the game in that image!
Yeah I liked that one too, especially the way he has his arm out pointing and calling for a pass.

Thanks for looking and the comments everyone!
11-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Fly yourself to Europe Mel, the seasons are just getting going over there.
11-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Fly yourself to Europe Mel, the seasons are just getting going over there.
Awesome idea Gary!! Are you offering to buy me the ticket and pay for my lodging?
11-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Awesome idea Gary!! Are you offering to buy me the ticket and pay for my lodging?
Darn it, I knew there was something I hadn't thought about.
When I win the idiot tax, oops I mean lottery.
11-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

End of the season. It is always a kind of weird feeling isn't it? Especially when we devote so much time and then it is over till next year. Sigh. Good work on these shots Mel. It is apparent that you know the game well.