Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  
Snowflake #009 from last year reprocessed
Posted By: aitrus3, 12-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Decided to turn this one into black and white, fix the spacing at the top and bottom, and clean up some of the distracting bits.
Now snow forecast here yet... so disappointing...
I've recently learned a whole lot more about extreme macro photography and lenses. I have ordered a microscope objective that I can adapt to my K3II to get sharper images. at 4.6x magnification on the 50mm f2.8 macro (with extra accessories that is), the effective f-ratio is actually around f19 (and i stopped it down!!??!! ) so that's well within the limit of where diffraction really sets in and affects sharpness.

Views: 1,221
12-20-2020, 06:06 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's amazing! I don't think the snow here is cold enough to get the fabulous patterns you do.

12-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
I need to find an RMS to T2/M42 adapter though... Where did you get yours? I hate amazon and don't have a prime account so shipping will also be outrageous, but may need to order it from there, Ugh.
I picked mine up on Ebay. Its just the basic flat one, but works fine. There seems to be lots of them listed currently from China, so shipping might take a while.

Fred.
12-20-2020, 12:59 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
There seems to be lots of them listed currently from China, so shipping might take a while.
Yup, China is always an option.
12-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
I picked mine up on Ebay. Its just the basic flat one, but works fine. There seems to be lots of them listed currently from China, so shipping might take a while.

Fred.

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
Yup, China is always an option.
The one on Amazon is likely coming from China as well, so I'll keep looking on ebay. I'll find one eventually or just make my own, not threaded. we shall see.

12-20-2020, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

That's super fascinating (about it sublimating) and the process of actually "capturing" them. Sounds like it would require a lot of patience, or a large sample size lol
12-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
That's super fascinating (about it sublimating) and the process of actually "capturing" them. Sounds like it would require a lot of patience, or a large sample size lol
Haha it certainly is a game of patience... Often standing outside catching snowflakes for 2-4 hours waiting for a good one. The quality of the crystals changes quite a bit in even just a short time frame.
Then when you do get one, finding it under the large magnification is a challenge, then making sure you're able to capture it all in sharp focus to finally getting the frames with the rail slide. Some folks don't use a rail slide, handholding on burst mode, but that's down to luck; even with 40 frames you might not have got the whole thing in focus at some point with these magnifications. The tiniest movement (less than a mm) changes what part of the snowflake is in focus.

It's fun, but demands patience.
12-21-2020, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Haha it certainly is a game of patience... Often standing outside catching snowflakes for 2-4 hours waiting for a good one. The quality of the crystals changes quite a bit in even just a short time frame.
Then when you do get one, finding it under the large magnification is a challenge, then making sure you're able to capture it all in sharp focus to finally getting the frames with the rail slide. Some folks don't use a rail slide, handholding on burst mode, but that's down to luck; even with 40 frames you might not have got the whole thing in focus at some point with these magnifications. The tiniest movement (less than a mm) changes what part of the snowflake is in focus.

It's fun, but demands patience.
That sounds like serious dedication. Thanks for sharing the process.

12-22-2020, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
That sounds like serious dedication. Thanks for sharing the process.
I subscribe to that, definitely out of my league...
12-23-2020, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #24

This is so cool!
12-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
I subscribe to that, definitely out of my league...
Oh it's not so bad. just needs patience and a bit of luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by scunning14 Quote
This is so cool!
Thanks scunning!
12-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #26

Oh it's not so bad. just needs patience and a bit of luck!
A bit more than these, I would say...
12-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Where did you get yours? I hate amazon and don't have a prime account so shipping will also be outrageous,
Amazon are sometimes a necessary evil. You can get your own back by signing up for the free trial which is regularly offered, and just cancel your subscription before it is due to renew. You can then benefit for a couple of weeks free shipping (as long as its covered by the "fufilled by Amazon" bit.
12-24-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for showing me some snow in this special way! We use to get it here too but times have changed... Quality shot!
12-25-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #29

I like this kind of shots, see things otherwise couldn't in a great artistic way. Thanks for sharing!