Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction 20 Dec 20
Posted By: RobG, 12-20-2020, 05:37 AM

It's not quite the closest part of the conjunction, but I'm likely to miss is tomorrow due to location and weather. The planets are overexposed in this image, but it shows up Jupiter's four Galilean moons. While in Italy I actually saw the telescope which Galileo used to see the moons. It's worth having a look if you have clear skies; this only happens once in about 800 years...

Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 20-12-20 at 11:39 PM ----------

This image doesn't show the moons, but it does show colour and banding on Saturn.

Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 1,162
12-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. So cool

12-24-2020, 04:17 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roypercy Quote
Wow. So cool
Thanks! It was cool to see.

---------- Post added 24-12-20 at 10:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
I got rained out. Just long enough for them to set, then it cleared. I also had better luck last night but I'm going to make a thread to spam them to in a bit. I was thinking it might be possible to combine them to get details and moons in one shot but I can now say this was a tricky one! Low down in the sky, and only a short time to work in. Seeing wasn't the best and so mine have no detail in Jupiter, and I also decided the one with moons looks best.
Glad you got something!

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Missed it. Last night was the only possibility and while most of the sky was clear we had one cloud right where jupiter and saturn would be.
Bummer. It was cloudy where I was for the closest nights as well.

I have whole timelapses of that pesky cloud the last couple weeks but I haven't managed to upload them yet. It'll be a week or more now since I'm off till next year and my internet(and power grid) consists mostly of geriatric squirrels holding hands.
Wow, good luck!
12-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I have whole timelapses of that pesky cloud the last couple weeks but I haven't managed to upload them yet. It'll be a week or more now since I'm off till next year and my internet(and power grid) consists mostly of geriatric squirrels holding hands.
hahaha awesome squirrel analogy!
12-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

reckon it would be more exciting capture with a telescope.....dal50-200....k-3ii

12-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #20
Urs
Pentaxian

Nice captures thanks for sharing, all we had was cloudy skies!
12-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
reckon it would be more exciting capture with a telescope.....dal50-200....k-3ii
Looks like you nailed the focus on Jupiter! Well done!

---------- Post added 25-12-20 at 05:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Urs Quote
Nice captures thanks for sharing, all we had was cloudy skies!
Thanks! I did miss the closest approach, but I'm still happy that I got to see them this close.