Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction 20 Dec 20
Lens: 500mm mirror Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RobG, 12-20-2020, 05:37 AM

It's not quite the closest part of the conjunction, but I'm likely to miss is tomorrow due to location and weather. The planets are overexposed in this image, but it shows up Jupiter's four Galilean moons. While in Italy I actually saw the telescope which Galileo used to see the moons. It's worth having a look if you have clear skies; this only happens once in about 800 years...

Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 20-12-20 at 11:39 PM ----------

This image doesn't show the moons, but it does show colour and banding on Saturn.

Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction
Views: 1,153
12-20-2020, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work Rob - I've taken a few photos myself. With the planets so low in the west, and thin clouds, I've not had a lot of success. Maybe I will post the shots a bit later.
12-20-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Nice work Rob - I've taken a few photos myself. With the planets so low in the west, and thin clouds, I've not had a lot of success. Maybe I will post the shots a bit later.
Thanks! I didn't expect to need such a high shutter speed; now I wish I could push it to more than ISO 3200, but the noise from the K3 is just too high.
12-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Woot! @RobG you might try combining those so you can have moons on the detailed image.

I did a quick search and several threads are up now for this event. My own attempt starts right after lunch. The Declination motor is out on my old CG-4 DIY Arduinoscope(for now mostly onstep) and I'm using this event as an excuse to get it running. I'm going to have to travel a bit to get up on a hill and that mount is much lighter than my regular AP rig. It's not really necessary but having tracking makes it easy to stay on target while I fiddle with settings. Right now I'm planning to try my 1500mm sct with my little Olympus em5ii due to the tilt screen and smaller sensor/pixels in hopes of getting better resolution than I have in the past on these targets. Seeing is going to be soup though so I'll have backup options along for the ride including the k50 to do wide angle shots, sunset, and possibly document my torment a bit.

Anybody know what optimum fov/focal length will be at closest approach?

12-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing this shots. Jupiter's moons are aligned? Surprising!
12-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

They're getting close! Nice job!
12-20-2020, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #7

Amazing photos, too bad that black 2001 "monolith" doesn't show in the photos.

12-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those moons are so cool!
12-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Ah bummer, I was all setup for the event and the weather just stabbed me in the back! I hope I can get a glimpse tomorrow!
12-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks- I live in the land of winter clouds☹️
12-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #11

I was watching tonight (solstice). By the time I got my camera set up it was too late. I did get some pictures last night but didn't have my magnifier eyepiece on the camera so focus wasn't great.
12-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I missed the closest nights, but I took a few more photos tonight. Here's one which shows lots of colour in Saturn and the rings quite well for only 450mm.

Jupiter and Saturn conjunction

---------- Post added 23-12-20 at 11:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Woot! @RobG you might try combining those so you can have moons on the detailed image.
I will try stacking a couple from tonight but I don't think it will make much difference.

QuoteQuote:
I did a quick search and several threads are up now for this event. My own attempt starts right after lunch.
How did you go?

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Thanks for sharing this shots. Jupiter's moons are aligned? Surprising!
The moons orbit in a plane which is at an angle to my viewing angle.

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
They're getting close! Nice job!
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Amazing photos, too bad that black 2001 "monolith" doesn't show in the photos.
Well, it was only 2x4x9 km so it might be hard.

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
Those moons are so cool!
Aren't they? It's so cool to see what Galileo saw. He had such a small telescope, too!

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Ah bummer, I was all setup for the event and the weather just stabbed me in the back! I hope I can get a glimpse tomorrow!
Did you have any luck? I missed the closest conjunction.

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Thanks- I live in the land of winter clouds☹️
Bummer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I was watching tonight (solstice). By the time I got my camera set up it was too late. I did get some pictures last night but didn't have my magnifier eyepiece on the camera so focus wasn't great.
I look forward to the photos of others!
12-23-2020, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
How did you go?
I got rained out. Just long enough for them to set, then it cleared. I also had better luck last night but I'm going to make a thread to spam them to in a bit. I was thinking it might be possible to combine them to get details and moons in one shot but I can now say this was a tricky one! Low down in the sky, and only a short time to work in. Seeing wasn't the best and so mine have no detail in Jupiter, and I also decided the one with moons looks best.
12-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Missed it. Last night was the only possibility and while most of the sky was clear we had one cloud right where jupiter and saturn would be.
12-23-2020, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Missed it. Last night was the only possibility and while most of the sky was clear we had one cloud right where jupiter and saturn would be.
I have whole timelapses of that pesky cloud the last couple weeks but I haven't managed to upload them yet. It'll be a week or more now since I'm off till next year and my internet(and power grid) consists mostly of geriatric squirrels holding hands.