Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Fancy Janitor
Posted By: reh321, 12-20-2020, 10:16 AM

Various animals have flow or walked onto our deck to clean up the seed I have spilled there filling our feeders, but it was a real treat to see this guy recently.
Cardinals are very shy animals - I had to stand in a dark corner once to photograph a strange-looking bird that turned out to be a molting Cardinal that kept briefly landing on our deck's railing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 1,107
12-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
The right approach!
Thank you for your comment.

It has taken time for me to learn to get any photograph at first, and only then look for the "perfect" setting.
Otherwise, I may end with nothing but vague memories.

12-21-2020, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
Hah - a 'distinguished' cardinal!

I believe I have seen the same one for several years now, so he must be getting relatively old, but I do so much enjoy seeing him.
12-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It has taken time for me to learn to get any photograph at first, and only then look for the "perfect" setting.
Otherwise, I may end with nothing but vague memories.
That's what I also think, make sure you can get a good photo at any time, setting comes second!
12-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's what I also think, make sure you can get a good photo at any time, setting comes second!
The way some animals come and go, I’m happy some time to get any photo sometime,
but my habits designed to avoid wasting film sometime are no longer useful when there is no film to waste.

12-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #20
Banned

Nice. Cardinals are quick. I have not taken a good image of one yet. Nice going.
12-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Nice. Cardinals are quick. I have not taken a good image of one yet. Nice going.

Yes, Cardinals are surprisingly quick. which is one reason I got only this one photo of him.
I might have gotten better photos if I had my KP set to take a burst, but I did not, so my new practice is to take a photo and then consider the settings - unfortunately, he left while I was switching to burst.
12-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #22

The way some animals come and go, I’m happy some time to get any photo sometime,
but my habits designed to avoid wasting film sometime are no longer useful when there is no film to waste.
True, not much to save on digital...

12-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
True, not much to save on digital...
Most of my habits still serve me well - I'd still rather take a photo which I figured out perspective, etc in the field than to try to "fix" it at my computer - but taking a quick shot when the situation suddenly presents itself is still hard for me.
12-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #24

Most of my habits still serve me well - I'd still rather take a photo which I figured out perspective, etc in the field than to try to "fix" it at my computer - but taking a quick shot when the situation suddenly presents itself is still hard for me.
Totally agree, I'm finding myself in the same situation pretty often! This is where automated camera modes come into play...