Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Big set of PPG rejects (a selection of my favourite photos)
Posted By: Isaac314, 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM

All in one day. Did they just decline them all because i put too many in (over a few weeks period), or am i really this unlucky?

What went wrong? Should i just not have so many on at one time? Still havent had any photo in the gallery...
Views: 2,723
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry they got rejected Isaac. I know I voted YES on at least a couple of them. I do suspect though that there was no mystery in the timing. I don't really think the Pentax judges evaluate images every day. I strongly suspect that they make their final decisions once or twice a week in big batches. We will probably see several "rejected" threads in the next day or 2.

I know it's frustrating but don't give up...

Mike
11-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are some really good images, especially the landscapes and the roof shot. It's a shame all of these got turned away. You can make more $$$ framing ans selling them than you can by getting them into the PPG. That's the way I look at it....
11-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
You can make more $$$ framing ans selling them than you can by getting them into the PPG. That's the way I look at it....
Yes, i completely realise that PPG is the most pointless thing in the world, and i am angry at myself for setting it as a "target", because if i dont reach my targets i might die. But yeah, i have much more productive things to use my time on so thanks.
As for selling, it is a good idea and i need the money but i am at college at the moment and i just dont have a clue where to start or any time on my hands... And i dont have the money to put into it in the first place (it all went on the k20d )

11-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I also got my images rejected as well today.
11-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that a few of those didn't get in... they're very good, and the processing seems like the sort of thing that does well there. I've read complaints about people that throw in a bunch of shots which are minor variations on the same photo but your entries aren't like that at all, so I don't think it's the number you entered. In the nine months I've been hanging out on pentax forums (and "pentax forums") I've seen a great many threads showing great photos which didn't get accepted, so you're in good company.

I think a person could study the accepted photos there, and then go out with the goal to shoot PPG acceptable photos, and probably start getting more shots in... On brief perusal (I probably look at that site about 20 minutes back in may, but not much since till right now), I'd say you should focus on:
  • people being emotive, quirky, athletic, somewhat haggard / dirty / poor (must be black and white or sepia conversion for these last three)
  • flowers
  • birds
  • sunsets
  • brightly painted structures
  • I'm sure there's more, but you get the idea...
There are several different color sets you see repeating, and I'm sure we could figure out what defines those "looks" so we could replicate 'em... The more I think about this the more it sounds like an interesting project - trying to take PPG photos.

I've tried twice to get photos into the PPG, and today I just got one accepted (I'll post about it in a sec - your thread inspired me to check, so I just found out about it)... the depressing thing is that all the photos which represent my style got rejected, and the one that got in is very much not my style, just a lucky shot. Last time this happened (rejection) I deleted the remaining candidates, and said fnck the PPG, but time passed and I thought I'd try again. Now that I have one in that really doesn't represent me, I almost feel like deleting it as well, but I'll probably just let it ride... I dunno.
11-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Josh, would love to see the one that got in from you. Enjoy looking at your images so it will be intersting to see which one made it. JIMBO
11-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Jimbo, I just posted it, and you'll see it very atypical of my work.

11-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

They are amazing photos though. Sorry to see these rejected...
11-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Some good shots, but I think the problem is that many of them are over-processed. They look like Flickr Explore images, but that's not what PPG is going for. Just my two cents.
11-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

IsaacEastgate,
I am a mere fisherman. My ass hurts from sitting on rocks and I have stubbed toes. I have been to one world fair, a picnic and a rodeo, and your pics are simply some of the best I have ever seen.
Really nice photos, we think. Keep trying mate, don't give up, hammer them.

Pentax fan Peter