Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First PPG acceptance, and I'm not that thrilled...
Posted By: heliphoto, 11-14-2008, 10:28 PM

I submitted 15 shots to PPG, some of my favorites, I expected rejection, 'cause that's what I got with different favorites last time, but I held out hope that I had improved. Well my expectation was well founded... All the shots which I put energy into were rejected.

This really great snapshot of my niece playing in a wading pool was accepted...

I guess I submitted it 'cause I thought it might get in, but... I dunno I had hoped that something else, you know, something I couldn't do with a point 'n shoot might get accepted as well. Oh well... maybe in six months I'll give the PPG another peek at my photos.

Last edited by heliphoto; 11-15-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Views: 2,115
11-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You should be very happy with this shot though
11-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You should be very happy with this shot though
Thank you James, I am indeed very happy with the shot... It's a great one and shows off the Tamron 90mm well too. I have a whole series of her splashing and having a great time in the pool, I think a print of this one might be a xmas present for her parents...
11-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, that's a 1-in-million shot, really, nice job.

I think the PPG folks may be a bit jaded by 'perfect' photos from 'perfect' gear, and are really swayed by out-of-the-ordinary captures that induce emotion.

I suppose that's what the best photography really is, though, so we shouldn't be surprised.

11-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

heliphoto,
I love it. Water drop capture is tops mate. Refs are hard at Pentax.
Again, it is a winner shot in MY book.

Regards
Peter

PS - BTW - Mrs says gorgeous too...
11-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I disagree that you could have just as easily done this with a point and shoot. I still use mine occasionally (especially the waterproof one around the pool), but you can't beat the quickness and versatility of an SLR, especially with a nice prime attached. This is a great, clear shot - and I suspect, could have been missed with the P&S.
11-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Congratulations Josh, at least you've got one in and it is a fine shot.

Now far from it for me to be cynical from a Pentax point of view, that shot you had accepted would be the perfect kind of shot to promote Pentax DSLR's to people moving up from a point and shoot. Maybe that shot was the one that fit their selection criteria this month.
11-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Congrats here too Josh,the shot is a winner in your eyes its a winner to all

Great capture and composition

cheers

11-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Josh, I am a little surprised this was one of your favorites. This is one beautiful image...!!! I know what it like though. I have posted many I like here and the ones I don't think are as good as others, people like... What do you I know about what a great picture is... really, at times, doesn't match up with what others think. This does not mean they are bad images just not to everyones liking I guess. Congrat's on getting your first of many execpted by PPG.. Cheers. JIMBO
11-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Congrats Josh, thats a great image. Its tough to capture the emotions and u clicked the camera at the right time. Awesome!!!
11-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent capture there Josh - there is just so much right with that picture.
11-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #12

I absolutely love this shot. I'm a sucker for shots that aren't planned, but just a capture of the moment. This one does it.
11-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your kind words. I do like the shot (a lot), and it shows that you all do too (and PPG).

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
I disagree that you could have just as easily done this with a point and shoot. I still use mine occasionally (especially the waterproof one around the pool), but you can't beat the quickness and versatility of an SLR, especially with a nice prime attached. This is a great, clear shot - and I suspect, could have been missed with the P&S.
You're right of course betsy... most P&Ss would have trouble getting that, but I think maybe some new ones could (I haven't used anything newer than my Pentax optio 750z - which had a lot of shutter lag, and was super noisy - it wouldn't have made that pic for sure).

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Congratulations Josh, at least you've got one in and it is a fine shot.

Now far from it for me to be cynical from a Pentax point of view, that shot you had accepted would be the perfect kind of shot to promote Pentax DSLR's to people moving up from a point and shoot. Maybe that shot was the one that fit their selection criteria this month.
That's a good point Gary, from a marketing POV (and a fathers POV too) this is what the camera's all about (maybe I'll try with some of my son - in violation of MRR.s rules from another thread )

Thanks again all.
11-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great image, it sure has its point of interest!
11-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

don't see anything wrong with this one.. its full of life