Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Picasa: "I Feel Lucky"
Posted By: jsherman999, 11-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Picasa has an instant-workflow button called "I Feel Lucky" - it can often
destroy images, but some of the time, it just ups the contrast and modifies
color subtly enough that the effect looks pleasing.

Below is an IFL transformation on a Sigma 70 2.8 Macro + K20D jpeg
(bright, fine sharpness +1)

Anyone have any other IFL images that look nice?

Views: 6,278
11-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Some nice shots. I'm a Picasa user but I avoid the "I'm feeling lucky" fix because they usually end up looking like "I'm on acid." These are some nice results.

Here are a couple from the M 100 2.8, original and IFL, not quite as much of a change:

Here's one where the IFL changes are subtle, and I think adds to the image:

Original, IFL:

The first shot here is a slight contrast adjustment, the second is IFL - I like the first:

11-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Here are some IFL transformations from the K100D + 50-135:

IFL, larger:

These don't change much, not sure which version I like better:

This is a more radical change, again, IFL "saves" an underexposed shot, but
changes it, also - the first image has no PP, the second a contrast adjustment,
the third, IFL:

No PP, IFL:

Last edited by jsherman999; 11-29-2008 at 10:40 PM.
11-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks J--I like the first one a lot--very unique---the second one has a wide open bokeh similar to my Auto-Tak 85mm.
11-30-2008, 03:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I tried Pisca once and didn't like it. wanted more... control. eventual;y moved along to the lightroom/ps combo.

IFL? Never went there. Bit this! Thanks for the heads up...

The stunning results...I need to revisit it! Is there a feature to peek in to see what it did? There is a boldness to the approach to the development that is inspiring. Even if it is only sending it a batch of lackluster files and getting teased by the result...

11-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting series, and IFL seems to do very well sometimes. I love some of the shots.

From an Adobe product perspective some (not all) of these look like an adjustment using the Offset function and then a selective Shadow/Highlight. For anyone else not knowing what Offset does: it deepens the blacks and darkens the shadows in image, but not overly influencing the highlights.

Where would that be of any use? Getting the blacks back when using a flash or it's very bright outside and the image is a tad overexposed... This is when the blacks look "a little gray". Offset can be that solution.

Regards,
Marc
11-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #21
Forum Member

IFL sometimes work, sometime it don't & makes the color different from what was in the original. Picasa user here since it came out but many don't want it coz of it's limited functionality but just like other software's it would evolve even though it is free, i like version 3 & it's a good organizer BTW
12-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Thanks J--I like the first one a lot--very unique---the second one has a wide open bokeh similar to my Auto-Tak 85mm.
The 55 shoots like the Tak 85 1.8 I used to own, I know what you mean.

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
I tried Pisca once and didn't like it. wanted more... control. eventual;y moved along to the lightroom/ps combo.

IFL? Never went there. Bit this! Thanks for the heads up...

The stunning results...I need to revisit it! Is there a feature to peek in to see what it did? There is a boldness to the approach to the development that is inspiring. Even if it is only sending it a batch of lackluster files and getting teased by the result...
Unfortunately, there's no way I know of to see exactly what it did. Marc below
may have an idea, though!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Very interesting series, and IFL seems to do very well sometimes. I love some of the shots.

From an Adobe product perspective some (not all) of these look like an adjustment using the Offset function and then a selective Shadow/Highlight. For anyone else not knowing what Offset does: it deepens the blacks and darkens the shadows in image, but not overly influencing the highlights.

Where would that be of any use? Getting the blacks back when using a flash or it's very bright outside and the image is a tad overexposed... This is when the blacks look "a little gray". Offset can be that solution.

Regards,
Marc
QuoteOriginally posted by duron Quote
IFL sometimes work, sometime it don't & makes the color different from what was in the original. Picasa user here since it came out but many don't want it coz of it's limited functionality but just like other software's it would evolve even though it is free, i like version 3 & it's a good organizer BTW
It is a pretty good organizer. I also like the ability to instantly upload selected
photos to picasa web albums, also free. I use that to share images with family.
It's just so fast, everything is very simple and fast, but fairly powerful.

Here's the M 50 1.4, original, and IFL:

Here's the M 20 f/4, in these I like the originals better than the 'brightened'
IFL's.

Here's an IFL with the Tak 55 I no longer have the original for:

12-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster

From the 31ltd, some not-so-subtle changes with IFL:

12-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Some nice shots. I'm a Picasa user but I avoid the "I'm feeling lucky" fix because they usually end up looking like "I'm on acid." These are some nice results.
When I used Picasa I would often hit the photos with I'm Feeling Lucky just to see the effect. It works amazing with some shots and not with others. Much like any other pp preset I've used.
I removed Picasa from my machine because it was redundant to use when I'm using lightroom for cataloging.
11-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every time I tried IFL, the shot ended up looking like it was done with a Canon

Just kidding!

My experience with IFL has been a little mixed. Usually they come out looking a little "overprocessed" or over saturated. Maybe I am just "unlucky"?

Steve

(Know this is an ancient thread, but could not resist posting a comment...)
12-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Every time I tried IFL, the shot ended up looking like it was done with a Canon

Just kidding!

My experience with IFL has been a little mixed. Usually they come out looking a little "overprocessed" or over saturated. Maybe I am just "unlucky"?

Steve

(Know this is an ancient thread, but could not resist posting a comment...)

Yes, very much over-processed, usually. I almost never save an IFL image, but often give it a try just to see what it would do.

Occasionally, it does do something neat that I want to save a copy of.

12-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #27
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There looks to be a burnt pixel in the original shot of this post. Little red dot in the black center of the tan flower.