Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Grand Canyon National Park - Elk
Lens: Tamron 18-250mm f/4.5 Camera: K-3 
Posted By: mroeder75, 12-31-2020, 11:20 PM

It was snowing, today. It was challenging. But, then I have never been so close to elk, so hey, all is good.
Views: 545
01-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like how you captured the snowflakes.
01-01-2021, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A bit of post-processing helps.
01-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Three reprocessed shot works better, thanks.

01-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Three reprocessed shot works better, thanks.
You are welcome. We are traveling, and I do not have my usual software. Flickr post processing worked well, though.

---------- Post added 01-01-21 at 09:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I like how you captured the snowflakes.
Thanks.
01-02-2021, 05:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very nice capture. You are one of the smart ones to visit the park in the winter and get the opportunity to photograph some unique scenes, even though it is a little tougher on the equipment.
01-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
A very nice capture. You are one of the smart ones to visit the park in the winter and get the opportunity to photograph some unique scenes, even though it is a little tougher on the equipment.
Not really smart. Just helping transport my daughter 1,500 miles to her internship in December. It was her desire to take a side-trip. I did minimal research for the side-trip before we arrived.

The South Rim was packed New Years Eve. There were quite a few foreign nationals here, too. Maybe they are here on a longer visa, but I was surprised at the extent of travelers out in a pandemic. It was my first trip to the Grand Canyon. The hotels were just about full when we arrived around 8:30 p.m. Over 90% were wearing masks outdoors, so I felt comfortable that people were taking precautions.

We walked the main viewing area near the parking lots then drove north a mile or two, where oodles of cars were parked roadside around some elk. We drove a bit farther and parked in a tiny lot near a hiking trail. These elk, from the same herd, where the cars were parked south of us, were spread all they way up to where we parked. We walked in a bit, and I got these pics. The harem was stretched out over 1/4 mile. There must have been 20 antlerless elk; one guy said he walked south, and found the lucky full rack bull and he got within 10-yards of it, and so we started walking in the direction he pointed, then thought better of it. I am from Iowa. I have known people severely injured by bovine bulls, i.e. domestic animals. I don't know elk, but I think I know something about alpha male animals keeping a harem in-line. The female elk were placid, and seemed very comfortable around people.

We did some hiking. It was beautiful but I did not know we were at over 7,000 feet, did not drink liquids, and got altitude sickness on our trip south out of the Canyon.

My daughter told me her friend's dad witnessed a death by falling here, and he will not return. We saw some crazy people posing on the edge of the canyon. I was in no mood to go over the edge New Years Eve.

It was my first trip here.