Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
A Very Expensive Lens
Lens: K 50mm f/1.2 Camera: K-1 II 
Posted By: wtlwdwgn, 01-07-2021, 08:28 PM

No, not the one on the left. The one on the right which is on my left. I had partial corneal replacement surgery (DMEC) on that eye to correct for Fuch's Dystrophy which is a progressive clouding of the cornea. It was a little scary when the doc said "suture" and I thought, "Where? In My EYE!" The a month later I had the stitches taken out and the doc went toward my EYE with a little KNIFE, and then with a little pair of TWEEZERS! Try not to blink when that's going on.

Views: 1,277
01-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am shuddering just thinking about it! I absolutely would have had to blink.

Hope it is all good now.
01-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My son-in-law suffers from diabetes and more recently, retinopathy. He had to endure "shots" (yes with a needle) in both of his eyes so as not to lose his eyesight. Scariest procedure ever he had to go through.
01-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had the surgery in November and I can see 20/20 in that eye now. Still have some followup appointments to make sure everything is okay and to check the right eye for Fuch's as well. It is biocular.

Richard, best wishes for your son-in-law. Potentially losing one's eyesight has got to be a nightmare.

01-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Steve - the whole procedure gives me the willies!! However, your doc apparently knows his stuff, since you're the handsome devil you've always been.

Jer
01-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jer!
01-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

glad you survived and didn't blink

01-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hopefully, all is well and you're able to still enjoy putting that 50mm 1.2 to use.
01-09-2021, 11:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dad has Fuch's Disease, too. He had double corneal transplant about 25-years ago. I think one of the corneas was re-replaced two years ago, and he has had other temporary issues with his corneas, but the greatest percentage of time they do work. When he was a kid his eyes felt like sandpaper.

Here is the good news for you and me. Dad is 88, and still drives. He was sacking groceries at Safeway until the pandemic started and decided to wait until after the pandemic subsides before returning to work. He was a mid-level executive in a large corporation during his regular working life, but in his retirement has taken "high school kid" jobs believing he would die if he didn't work. Well, for 10-months now he is still living despite not working, but he hopes to get his first vaccine shot this month, and hopes this spring to return to work. Keeps him young.

Good luck with yours eyes! Thanks for your story.
01-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to Lmcfarrin and mroeder75. The surgery has corrected the Fuch's Dystrophy and I'm back to 20/20 in the left eye. I've been at 20/15 in the right eye but the Fuch's is there too.

moeder75, I'm glad to hear your dad is still active as he has 10 years on me. Hopefully we can get the Covid-19 vaccine soon.
06-29-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
No, not the one on the left. The one on the right which is on my left. I had partial corneal replacement surgery (DMEC) on that eye to correct for Fuch's Dystrophy which is a progressive clouding of the cornea. It was a little scary when the doc said "suture" and I thought, "Where? In My EYE!" The a month later I had the stitches taken out and the doc went toward my EYE with a little KNIFE, and then with a little pair of TWEEZERS! Try not to blink when that's going on.

Nice self-portrait - and glad you can see it OK
06-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saley Quote
Nice self-portrait - and glad you can see it OK

Thank you saley!
06-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Thanks to Lmcfarrin and mroeder75. The surgery has corrected the Fuch's Dystrophy and I'm back to 20/20 in the left eye. I've been at 20/15 in the right eye but the Fuch's is there too.

moeder75, I'm glad to hear your dad is still active as he has 10 years on me. Hopefully we can get the Covid-19 vaccine soon.
Dad is still going, but didn't return to work, yet. My folks live in Tucson. They are returning to Iowa in July for about one-month, where they and we are from. Looking forward to seeing them. His eyes are working fine, but he's had some trouble with squamous cell now. But, I think, the squamous cell is not going to retire him. I think he will resume work in Tucson by September.

That said, it's my dad that bought himself a Pentax ME Super in 1983, and me for my graduation a Pentax ME Super, and so that's why I am here. I am still using my old lenses, several other lenses, and now a K-3. Hope to continue the Pentax ride.
07-01-2021, 05:19 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a Nazi doctor's experiment. My wife had intacs installed in both eyes. Thankfully, she didn't ask me to hold her hand so I'd have to watch.
07-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Dad is still going, but didn't return to work, yet. My folks live in Tucson. They are returning to Iowa in July for about one-month, where they and we are from. Looking forward to seeing them. His eyes are working fine, but he's had some trouble with squamous cell now. But, I think, the squamous cell is not going to retire him. I think he will resume work in Tucson by September.

That said, it's my dad that bought himself a Pentax ME Super in 1983, and me for my graduation a Pentax ME Super, and so that's why I am here. I am still using my old lenses, several other lenses, and now a K-3. Hope to continue the Pentax ride.

I liked the ME Super too although I didn't have it long. I gave my film cameras away so the college and high school students can use them in Photography 101.