Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Newbie First Post, What do you think?
Posted By: MBrannon, 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Hello all,

I'm new on this forum and thought I might post a few of my favorite photos to see what you all think. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

These were shot with a K10D and either a Sigma Bigma, or Sigma 70 - 300 APO.

Thanks for Looking!

Michael

Last edited by MBrannon; 05-27-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Views: 1,053
11-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You certainly have the tools, you just need to learn how to get them to perform at their best. You didn't say whether you were using a tripod or not. In any case, a tripod is essential for taking the kind of shots you appear to be wanting to take. It will allow you to take shots with a greater DOF.
You're off to a good start, just work on your focusing and composition.
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
I agree with you about the tripod. These were shot hand held. I've got a good tripod, but I just find it difficult to carry so much "stuff" while out walking trails. I've recently bought a monopod though. I have only used it a couple of times so far, but the photos were much sharper while using it though. So, I carry it with me now.

That "bigma" is a heavy lens. K10 + grip + bigma = about 7 or 8 pounds! That monopod really helps after walking with that setup for a few miles!

Thanks for your comments
11-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MBrannon Quote
I agree with you about the tripod. These were shot hand held. I've got a good tripod, but I just find it difficult to carry so much "stuff" while out walking trails. I've recently bought a monopod though. I have only used it a couple of times so far, but the photos were much sharper while using it though. So, I carry it with me now.

That "bigma" is a heavy lens. K10 + grip + bigma = about 7 or 8 pounds! That monopod really helps after walking with that setup for a few miles!

Thanks for your comments
I know I should carry my tripod when I hike with my Bigma too. But I don't do it. I have a tough enough time carrying the Bigma on a hike. The monopod is a good alternative to a tripod and they even make some that serve double duty as a walking stick. I really like that first image. The only shot that looks a bit oof from lens movement is the duck.

11-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments LaRee. I saw your air show pics. VERY nice. I went to an airshow earlier this summer, and the Bigma is a really good lens for that. As long as it's a nice sunny day that is. I came home that day looking like a french fry!
11-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Very good shots, particularly that first one. I carry a large aluminum tripod when I'm using the bigma and yep it is a lot to hike around with but needed with that lens. I was looking at carbon fibre tripods. Gitzo and Manfroto both have good solid ones that are fairly lightweight, although the Gitzo I liked best is way too expensive for me. Something to consider if you want to save weight. Of course it still leaves you dealing with carrying the bigma and camera plus manhandling a tripod, on the bright side though.. it's good excercise.