Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
An I Being Too Nosey?
Camera: iPhone XS Photo Location: Clear Lake, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-10-2021, 11:13 AM

While I was waiting for my car during its annual service on Friday, I ambled through the dealer's lot (as usual) taking snapshots of some of the stuff in inventory. The first three show a couple of new BMW 4-Series coupes with their controversially massive kidney grills - noticeable noses, indeed! The last three are of an M8 Competition convertible, a car I've considered off-and-on as a possible replacement for my 911 down the road.

Jer

Views: 396
01-10-2021, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As a Beemer guy, Thatís not controversial, itís just plain ugly.
The M8 still has something more like able .My wife drives a 18, not sure weíre going with another. Problem is we love the ride!

Hang up and DRIVE!
01-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have to say I don't like this version of the BMW nose grille. I much prefer previous BMW models which have the traditional kidney shaped grille, but a grille design that is a more subtle design. The Kidney shaped grille from BMW goes back decades to the '30's I believe.

I'm not a fan of this current design, as in your photos. Too large, too garish....

The blue BMW's grille looks like two industrial level cheese graters...side by side. In early 2020, my wife and I were looking at new vehicles, and one we considered was the Lexus line. The modern Lexus grille reminds me of this new BMW front end look and both of us didn't like that aspect of the Lexus design.

Sorry to be so forceful in my response Jerry. Maybe after I get used to this redesign , it will grow on me.

Cheers, Les

Part of the issues with me, is that I'm a long time fan of cars and motorcycles with the BMW emblem on them. In fact our son has a BMW F series G/S motorcycle.

This make has always been known for beautiful , elegant styling. This grille is a departure.

To be specific, the grilles I don't care for, are on the blue and grey 4 series coupes.

The grille on the white convertible looks very good to me, much more restrained, in keeping with BMW's older design philosophy.

Last edited by lesmore49; 01-10-2021 at 02:15 PM.
01-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I must say I don't take to the new nose grill either but I'm sure in 12 months time I will have come round to the new look. These designers generally know what they are doing

01-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
As a Beemer guy, Thatís not controversial, itís just plain ugly.
The M8 still has something more like able .My wife drives a 18, not sure weíre going with another. Problem is we love the ride!
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have to say I don't like this version of the BMW nose grille. I much prefer previous BMW models which have the traditional kidney shaped grille, but a grille design that is a more subtle design. The Kidney shaped grille from BMW goes back decades to the '30's I believe. . . . . . . . . Maybe after I get used to this redesign , it will grow on me.

Cheers, Les
QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
I must say I don't take to the new nose grill either but I'm sure in 12 months time I will have come round to the new look. These designers generally know what they are doing

Mike and Les - My first impression is more-or-less the same as yours but not quite as emphatic, perhaps because I've seen the cars in the flesh. Keep in mind that my close-up, wide shots of the cars exaggerate somewhat the visual dominance of the big grills a bit. Also, there's no current indication that BMW will utilize such front-end treatments across their whole line; the picture below is of the new 3-Series (essentially the 4-door version of the the 4-Series); the front of the sedan is aggressive but still looks classically BMW.

Simon - were I a betting man, I'd bet you're absolutely right!

Jer

01-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very good series of shots of some classy cars
01-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An I Being Too Nosey?

Yes the 340 is better, BUT I still see an ďEnzo-escĒ look with the two garage /barn doors on the sides.

BMW design has shown us some more things many donít like and want, but apparently most sell, I think of the X6 and X4rooflines as an example

Hang up and DRIVE!
01-10-2021, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, Buddy those 4 series coupes are just butt ugly in the nose! In days past you could count on BMW for some classic form follows function aerodynamic designs but if the 4 series coupe's grills had the center vertical bar removed they would look like many lesser vehicles with the garish over sized front grill. The M8 and the 4 series designs look very good!!

BTW, great images!!

01-10-2021, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very good series of shots of some classy cars
Thanks, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Yes the 340 is better, BUT I still see an “Enzo-esc” look with the two garage /barn doors on the sides.

BMW design has shown us some more things many don’t like and want, but apparently most sell, I think of the X6 and X4rooflines as an example

Hang up and DRIVE!
Yup - it doesn't matter what you or I think, the market will decide.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Jer, Buddy those 4 series coupes are just butt ugly in the nose! In days past you could count on BMW for some classic form follows function aerodynamic designs but if the 4 series coupe's grills had the center vertical bar removed they would look like many lesser vehicles with the garish over sized front grill. The M8 and the 4 series designs look very good!!

BTW, great images!!
Thanks, my friend. Yeah, I agree BMW went too far with the stylistic . . . . "drama" . . . . on the 4-Series. For me, the real problem with the new 3- and 4-Series is their gargantuan size and weight - wheel base of 112' and 3800 lb!! My first Bimmer, a 2003 325i, weighed 3100 pounds and had a wheel base of 107" - about the size of my current 2019 M240i.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-10-2021 at 08:02 PM.
01-10-2021, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #10
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Simon - were I a betting man, I'd bet you're absolutely right!
I'd take that bet. Designers are often right, but occasionally spectacularly wrong.

My impression on seeing your images of the 4-Series is that it was the anti-Chrysler. The Chrysler 300, with its strong front grill was a bit of an anomaly for the company, but in a good way. This, to me, looks like BMW going the wrong way. At least it should make it easier to spot them from a distance. For whatever reason, many of the aggressive drivers I have to deal with are driving BMW (or sometimes Audi) so early detection is a bonus.

Now the M8 convertible, that does look like a sweeeeeet ride.
01-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'd take that bet. Designers are often right, but occasionally spectacularly wrong.

My impression on seeing your images of the 4-Series is that it was the anti-Chrysler. The Chrysler 300, with its strong front grill was a bit of an anomaly for the company, but in a good way. This, to me, looks like BMW going the wrong way. At least it should make it easier to spot them from a distance. For whatever reason, many of the aggressive drivers I have to deal with are driving BMW (or sometimes Audi) so early detection is a bonus.

Now the M8 convertible, that does look like a sweeeeeet ride.
And there's a good chance you'll walk away with the money. The big kidneys are egregious - it will be interesting to see how they play out; 4-Series Coupes and convertibles are relatively low-volume cars, so BMW isn't betting the farm on this experiment.

Regarding the M8 convertible, I wanted to take it for a test drive, but my wife wouldn't let me.

Jer