Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Thoughts of Seasons Past
Camera: K5 
Posted By: MSL, 01-19-2021, 09:39 PM

While it has been a relatively mild winter, we've had far too many grey days of late. Not fun when you want to shoot or more importantly test out the fruits of giving in to LBA. It has also been a time to consolidate photos stored across multiple devices and purge those no longer worth keeping. And that brought me to a selection from seasons past that don't involve grey, snow, or cold. Apologies if one or two were posted many years ago, but I know my post processing has improved at least a little bit in the interim.












Views: 529
01-20-2021, 03:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 527
Very nice, hope you get out soon. There seem to be plenty of abbreviations in use on the forum, LBA is one that has passed me by. Is this "let's buy anything"? I think I could do with a glossary.
01-20-2021, 04:59 AM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,701
Original Poster
It is usually Lens Buying Addiction but any related variation works too. Thanks for commenting.
01-20-2021, 05:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 527
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
It is usually Lens Buying Addiction but any related variation works too. Thanks for commenting.
Thanks. There is an antedote for that, usually or $$$ !

01-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,701
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Thanks. There is an antedote for that, usually or $$$ !
Of which I have spent considerably in the past couple of weeks, and thus looking for sunshine and time to go play with new toys.
01-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,198
Delightful series! Lots of color and - for a lack of a better phrase - good cheer. I envy your rainbow photo, I've never been able to produce the vivid colors of rainbows that you captured here.

Jer
01-21-2021, 08:51 AM   #7
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,701
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Delightful series! Lots of color and - for a lack of a better phrase - good cheer. I envy your rainbow photo, I've never been able to produce the vivid colors of rainbows that you captured here
Thanks Jer, I appreciate you stopping by and your feedback.


That photo goes back to when I hadn't had the K5 long, and was still mostly shooting with the 18-55, as was the case here. It is also the second time I post-processed it, and when I compared this effort to the previous one, I did a much better job this time. The one thing I've found with rainbows is that it is better to underexpose anywhere up to a full stop. It is too easy to loose the faint colors of the rainbow if you expose off the sky. I also got lucky on this one as it was getting towards sunset, so there was less chance of blown highlights.

01-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,198
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Thanks Jer, I appreciate you stopping by and your feedback.


That photo goes back to when I hadn't had the K5 long, and was still mostly shooting with the 18-55, as was the case here. It is also the second time I post-processed it, and when I compared this effort to the previous one, I did a much better job this time. The one thing I've found with rainbows is that it is better to underexpose anywhere up to a full stop. It is too easy to loose the faint colors of the rainbow if you expose off the sky. I also got lucky on this one as it was getting towards sunset, so there was less chance of blown highlights.
You know, I never thought of underexposing - your approach makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

Jer
01-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,701
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
You know, I never thought of underexposing - your approach makes sense. Thanks for the tip!
The other suggestion I can make if you are willing to spend a bit more time at the back end is to shoot a 3 or 5 shot bracket. I will routinely do this when lighting conditions are difficult, such as scenes with lots of snow, as those will fool a meter. I find that there's so much dynamic range that you can recover underexposed shots, at it is really hard to make things black, and it is better than clipping highlights which is more likely to occur. I have also found that even though changing the exposure changes the overall luminosity by 1/3 or 1/2 a stop, it doesn't change the R,G, B channels uniformly, so you can end up with different color balances from one image to the next.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, seasons
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life in Seasons e_nogueras Monthly Photo Contests 7 12-08-2020 09:36 PM
Seasons Greetings RamonT General Talk 3 12-25-2019 08:10 AM
Abstract four seasons at once ignath Post Your Photos! 8 11-19-2019 03:26 AM
Nature Seasons End. foxandcrow Post Your Photos! 6 10-11-2019 06:34 AM
Machinery Blast From the Past . . . . . My Past Sailor Post Your Photos! 6 05-23-2016 06:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top