Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
14 Likes  #1
Back yard Cooper's Hawk Birding!!
Lens: HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Pearl, MS ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Larrymc, 01-26-2021, 08:25 PM

Jan 20th. We spotted a pair of Cooper's Hawks on our side fence but I only captured one as the other one flew off just before I got my lens changed to get the shot. This one stayed and posed a bit.

For some unexplained reason my K-3 aperture setting jumped up to f/22 right before I got the shot as I had it set to f/8 and the ISO was 3200 with a lot less noise.....Oh Well?
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Jan 23rd. The Poacher sitting on the fence!

Must be slim pickings for the neighborhood Coopers Hawks as they keep frequenting our back yard close to our feeders. Second time in three days that this guy has been on one of our perimeter fences.
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Jan 25th. Back for a snack today

Our friendly neighborhood Cooper's Hawk was back again today hiding behind the Leyland Cypress behind our fence. I watched the bird sit patiently and scan the area for an unsuspecting bird to fly up. I tried all sorts of noises and arm waving but this guy didn't budge. During all this time a Tufted Titmouse landed in branches on the other side of the Leyland Cypress and started its song. The Hawk watched the Titmouse a bit then flew right through the cypress branches and probably caught the poor Titmouse. I guess the next time I see a Cooper's on the fence I will run him off as they are taking a toll on our song birds that feed in out back yard.
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Views: 533
01-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely! The second one would look fantastic as a metal print hanging on a wall...
01-27-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks, Jim, I appreciate your comment and thanks for viewing!! I might look into having a metal print done, again thanks!!
01-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent series Larry! I have watched many song birds and doves get picked off by Cooper's hawks in my backyard over the years. However, their success rate was actually pretty low. The birds have a very good warning system when the hawks are nearby. One day I was standing next to one of my hummingbird feeders and a hawk came through the trees and had to swerve to avoid smacking me in the head. I could feel the wind off of its feathers as it went by.

01-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

A great series ! The closest I can get to a Coopers is about eighty meters . TFS
01-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent series Larry! I have watched many song birds and doves get picked off by Cooper's hawks in my backyard over the years. However, their success rate was actually pretty low. The birds have a very good warning system when the hawks are nearby. One day I was standing next to one of my hummingbird feeders and a hawk came through the trees and had to swerve to avoid smacking me in the head. I could feel the wind off of its feathers as it went by.
Thanks for the comment, Todd, I think the Cooper's have been pretty efficient here in out back yard about once a month I find a ball of Mocking Bird or Dove feathers someplace in our back yard. As a matter of fact I haven't seen a mocking bird in our back yard for several weeks now. We have a Blue Bird box in our back yard and I'm a bit concerned that the hawks might take one of our Blue Bird nesters which are starting to choose their nesting areas for the spring.

I've had a close encounter with a Cooper's similar to your encounter, those guys get tunnel vision when the are focused on a quarry.

Thanks for viewing, My friend!!
01-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
A great series ! The closest I can get to a Coopers is about eighty meters . TFS
Many thanks, our Cooper's aren't all that skittish here, when I step out on to our patio I'm within 50 or so feet away and several times they just sit there and look at me. Thanks for viewing!!

01-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific photography, my friend!

Jer
01-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific photography, my friend!

Jer
Many thanks, Buddy, apologies for the late reply. These shots are hurry up shots except for one and were taken by slowly opening the one of the French doors leading to the patio and getting a few shots. As I described in the last shot the Cooper's had made up its mind that it was staying and not going to be flushed out. Thanks for viewing, My Friend!!