Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  
The life of a nuthatch
Posted By: normhead, 01-31-2021, 08:14 AM

K-3 DA 55-300 PLM
ƒ8, ISO 100

From where I was sitting I could see this bird flying back and forth from a nest hole, storing food, which enabled me to get multiple shots of a behaviour being repeated over and over again. Which made it possible for me to document the whole behaviour.

How to get food it you are a nuthatch?

Find a branch from where you can evaluate the landscape.

Look up.

Check the nearby bushes for competitors.

Look down... oh boy goodies.

OK, going for the goodies...

Pay dirt.

Views: 925
02-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
Beautiful exposures Norman.
Anything with a white background or foreground is difficult. Nailed it up pretty good.
I prefer to shoot this time of year because the snow acts as a reflector under the birds, that level of detail on the underside of the birds is not possible without snow.

---------- Post added 02-05-21 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
Beautiful exposures Norman.
Anything with a white background or foreground is difficult. Nailed it up pretty good.
Thanks Sailor.

---------- Post added 02-05-21 at 05:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
As said before, terrific series, great pictures, and good description of your process for obtaining these shots. I've never seen that many nuthatches together.
FROM where I was seated I could see one going back and forth from a nest hole to the feeders. There were others around like 1 or 2 and a White Breasted, but these are all the same nuthatch. The image with multiple birds, was from the last time I was at Cameron road, and those are Chickadees. At the end of the breeding season one year I had two moms with chicks at the feeders, moms trying to coax the young onto the feeders. That was probably the most I've seen at one time.

02-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I prefer to shoot this time of year because the snow acts as a reflector under the birds, that level of detail on the underside of the birds is not possible without snow.

---------- Post added 02-05-21 at 05:26 PM ----------

Thanks Sailor.

---------- Post added 02-05-21 at 05:31 PM ----------

FROM where I was seated I could see one going back and forth from a nest hole to the feeders. There were others around like 1 or 2 and a White Breasted, but these are all the same nuthatch. The image with multiple birds, was from the last time I was at Cameron road, and those are Chickadees. At the end of the breeding season one year I had two moms with chicks at the feeders, moms trying to coax the young onto the feeders. That was probably the most I've seen at one time.
Surprised that I did not notice that those were Chickadees. I should have since they are here often. One track mind, derailed.😀😀