Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  
A New Toy for an Old Man
Posted By: Sailor, 02-05-2021, 08:21 PM

On Tuesday, after almost five years of enjoying my 2015 (991) Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio, I traded for a new 2021 (992) Carrera Cab. Here are a few pics of the car prior to delivery and after arriving home. The new car is painted in Chalk, a (very)light-gray, non-metallic paint that can appear - to both eye and camera - gray, ivory or white depending upon lighting conditions and background (photographing this guy properly clearly will be a challenge). Here are a few pics of the car at the dealer just prior to delivery and shortly after bringing it home. The second shot includes my wife inspecting the car and deciding whether or not she'll let me buy it.

Conducting a car trade during a pandemic was interesting, and the dealership was very accommodating; we did all the negotiations and the purchase paper work outside (luckily it was a beautiful day).

Jer

Views: 1,103
02-07-2021, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very nice! Congratulations!
And, no more need to carry a neutral grey card for perfect white balance!
Thank you, Mark. Good idea; I'll leave my grey card home from now on.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by traxino Quote
Beautiful! Enjoy!
Thank you and I will!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Lovely! Congratulations Jerry!
I appreciate it, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
Very nice! I like it.
I nearly bought a Porsche but got this instead.
Thanks, and I love you red(!) Lotus - that thing's got to be a lot of fun.

Jer

---------- Post added 02-07-2021 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Reckon you must have been more of a Pirate rather then a Sailor... cos it would taken a few treasure chests to pay for that.

Make sure that you and your good lady enjoy... once you allowed to get out.
We'll enjoy it, KD. Thanks.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Looks very classy in that chalk white - nice
Appreciate it - it's a fascinating color.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
That's a good looking car my friend!
Congratulations and I'm glad Connie approved the deal
Have fun Jer!
Hey Buddy, thanks much!

Jer

---------- Post added 02-07-2021 at 10:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Boys and their Toys, you'd never see me do something like that!
Hmmm' - let me recall. . . . . . . . . a vivid blue hotrod sedan followed by the Beast . . . . . . . . .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
Congratulations Jer! I am liking the crisp edges they've introduced on this latest incarnation. Appears to have a meaner stance reminiscent of the late 80's Speedster too
Thank you! Coming from you, your words mean a lot. And your right, they've given the front treatment some of the character of the air-cooled cars. But it's not the classic you've got at home!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
I am sooooooooo envious I'm drooling all over my key board. Porsche my all time dream car since I was 16. Great looking car, thank you.
Thanks very much. I dreamed about Porsches after test driving a 912 back in 1970 or 1971 and wanted it badly. It took a few decades before I was able to afford one.

Jer

---------- Post added 02-07-2021 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A lovely car. I find it pleasing to see that the old classic 911 'shape' is still there, since it first came out (1963 ?) . It is one of those few designs that has been here for a very long time and continues to evolve beautifully.....but still retain the 'look' over so many years.

Jer, I bet you never get tired of looking at it. I know I wouldn't.

My '67 Matchless Scrambler motorcycle has a British made Lyta aluminum gas tank. It's a teardrop design, modeled actually after...a tear drop. To my eye it is a wonderful, natural shape.

Both your Porsche and the Lyta tank are objects where I find my eye....automatically.... following and tracing the design line.

What differences do you note, between this '21 Porsche and your '15 model ?
Les, I know what you mean about the attraction of certain shapes and this one captivates me. My previous car (a 991 series) was equipped with an optional ducktail spoiler; that's a rare and sought-after option now on used 991s but it interrupts the classic 911 profile, which my new car has.

There are a lot of differences in the new 992s like mine. The engine now has twin turbos and a lot more juice, yet were it not for the occasional whistle of the turbos, I don't think I'd know it has a turbocharged engine given the car's linear throttle response. The new one also has a wider track and a bigger tire patch than its predecessor, and feels a bit more planted (not that the other one felt slippery), and Porsche's new quicker steering makes the car feel more agile than my 991. An option I didn't have in my 991, the sport exhaust really sounds robust when the dampers are opened - even an old man like me can enjoy stuff like that!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Congrats Jer. I was hoping for a side by side before and after pic. Enjoy the ride
Thanks, my friend. I fully intended to do just what you've suggested, and it would've been easy since the cars were parked side-by-side, but I was so focussed on the new car that the idea evaporated.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great looking new car Jer, congratulations! Now you just need to get it out on some of these hill country back roads out my way.
Hey, Todd, thanks - I'd love to take a drive on the those roads with a sports car! We've traveled them several times, but only in Mom and Pop sedans.

Jer

02-07-2021, 07:36 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thank you and I will!
I note no denial to the "Pirate" tag...
02-07-2021, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I note no denial to the "Pirate" tag...
ARRRGGGG. Avast thar, mate.

Jer
02-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, my friend. I fully intended to do just what you've suggested, and it would've been easy since the cars were parked side-by-side, but I was so focussed on the new car that the idea evaporated.
"Boys with toys"... I can see why you were focused on the new stuff.

02-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
ARRRGGGG. Avast thar, mate.
02-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
02-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The engine now has twin turbos and a lot more juice
Finally I was always afraid the "old" engine was not up to what you need on a US Highway

02-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally I was always afraid the "old" engine was not up to what you need on a US Highway
I hear you, buddy. The "old" car could only do 176mph (284 km/h) - I could barely keep up with traffic!

Jer
02-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear you, buddy. The "old" car could only do 176mph (284 km/h) - I could barely keep up with traffic!

Jer
Yes, that's how I remember Houston traffic
02-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Yes, that's how I remember Houston traffic
I remember, back around 2000-2001 my wife and I were visiting Minneapolis and in freeway traffic that went through the city at rush hour. Rush hour on that freeway gave me a completely different understanding of those words. Traffic was racing along at 85 mph....mostly bumper to bumper....
02-08-2021, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I remember, back around 2000-2001 my wife and I were visiting Minneapolis and in freeway traffic that went through the city at rush hour. Rush hour on that freeway gave me a completely different understanding of those words. Traffic was racing along at 85 mph....mostly bumper to bumper....
Houston's rush hour is a daily nightmare, in part because the city has very limited public transportation. Fortunately, we live about 40 miles south of Houston and needn't venture into the city during peak traffic periods.

When Connie was in Memorial Herman in Houston's Med Center after her bike accident in 2017, I became a commuter for about a month. I don't know how people can do that everyday and stay sane!

Jer
02-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Houston's rush hour is a daily nightmare, in part because the city has very limited public transportation. Fortunately, we live about 40 miles south of Houston and needn't venture into the city during peak traffic periods.

When Connie was in Memorial Herman in Houston's Med Center after her bike accident in 2017, I became a commuter for about a month. I don't know how people can do that everyday and stay sane!

Jer
I don't either. 85 mph, literally just a bit short of bumper to bumper and long lines of traffic, I'm surprised there are not more accidents. We had our Chevy Astro van then, so could see over cars and past them, which was good for anticipating potential accidents. I'm not particularly worried about my driving, but I am when driving in situations like this, as I don't knw what condition the other vehicles are and what the level of driving skill is with other drivers.

An F1 driver when asked if driving in F1 races scared him, answered no, as other F1 drivers were highly skilled, the cars were in tip top condition., What worried him was driving on freeways, where his faith in other drivers and their car conditions was very low.

BTW, meant to mention, like the photos, particularly the last one...did you use your 15-30 lens and K1 ?
02-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't either. 85 mph, literally just a bit short of bumper to bumper and long lines of traffic, I'm surprised there are not more accidents. We had our Chevy Astro van then, so could see over cars and past them, which was good for anticipating potential accidents. I'm not particularly worried about my driving, but I am when driving in situations like this, as I don't knw what condition the other vehicles are and what the level of driving skill is with other drivers.

An F1 driver when asked if driving in F1 races scared him, answered no, as other F1 drivers were highly skilled, the cars were in tip top condition., What worried him was driving on freeways, where his faith in other drivers and their car conditions was very low.

BTW, meant to mention, like the photos, particularly the last one...did you use your 15-30 lens and K1 ?
Thanks, Les. I used my 28-105/K-1 on the shots I took at home. The ones of the car at the dealer came from my iPhone.

I'll do some serious shooting of the car, after I've detailed it.

Jer