Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Photo?
Posted By: reh321, 02-06-2021, 11:14 AM

I don't actually know anything about the provenance of this photo. It appears to have been taken around 1955-56, around the time I got my first camera, and is rectangle as that camera produced
{we lived in that house then - my parents added the 'breezeway' and garage when my younger brother was born in 1954} .

Attached Images

Views: 460
02-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A nice piece of history. We have come a long way with photography.
02-06-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
A nice piece of history. We have come a long way with photography.
Thank you for your comment.

Yes we - and I - have.
12-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't actually know anything about the provenance of this photo. It appears to have been taken around 1955-56, around the time I got my first camera, and is rectangle as that camera produced
{we lived in that house then - my parents added the 'breezeway' and garage when my younger brother was born in 1954} .
Always nice to see how the world around you has changed - that is: - I suppose it doesn't look quite that way now ? ;-)

12-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
Always nice to see how the world around you has changed - that is: - I suppose it doesn't look quite that way now ? ;-)
Thank you for responding.

Actually, the last time I went by there, which was a year or so before my Mother died in 2018, the house had been replaced by a "McMansion" pressed against the sidewalk.
I suppose that was the only way they could get lots of interior space and yet keep a back yard.
Honestly, the interior of the old house wasn't worth keeping, but it did make me kind of sad, and the fortress-like exterior of the replacement was a compete 'turn off' to me ....
but those are the times we live in today, where interior space is much more important than communing with the neighbors is.

I am glad I have photos to remind me of what those days were like.

I believe my Mother's youngest sister {born in 1941} is the woman on the far right.
My sister was born in 1950, and my brother in 1954, so I don't believe any other kid is young enough to be a reative.
That is how those times were then - we basically lived in each other's yards.

Last edited by reh321; 12-18-2021 at 11:39 AM.
12-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for responding.

Actually, the last time I went by there, which was a year or so before my Mother died in 2018, the house had been replaced by a "McMansion" pressed against the sidewalk.
I suppose that was the only way they could get lots of interior space and yet keep a back yard.
Honestly, the interior of the old house wasn't worth keeping, but it did make me kind of sad, and the fortress-like exterior of the replacement was a compete 'turn off' to me ....
but those are the times we live in today, where interior space is much more important than communing with the neighbors is.

I am glad I have photos to remind me of what those days were like.

I believe my Mother's youngest sister {born in 1941} is the woman on the far right.
My sister was born in 1950, and my brother in 1954, so I don't believe any other kid is young enough to be a reative.
That is how those times were then - we basically lived in each other's yards.
Hi,
sad to hear about your mother.

Time changes and new inhabitant come by and make changes to their place and surroundings. Then it's good to have old photos that reminds you of, how it used to be, when you lived there.
I guess it's the same here in Denmark. The younger ones do not play in the streets anymore, due to increased traffic and computers, iPads and so. Life changes !

But now I'm a bit curious ;-) Next time you come by - if - could you sneak yourselves to take a photo of, what the places looks like now? That could be interesting to see ?
12-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
Hi,
sad to hear about your mother.

Time changes and new inhabitant come by and make changes to their place and surroundings. Then it's good to have old photos that reminds you of, how it used to be, when you lived there.
I guess it's the same here in Denmark. The younger ones do not play in the streets anymore, due to increased traffic and computers, iPads and so. Life changes !

But now I'm a bit curious ;-) Next time you come by - if - could you sneak yourselves to take a photo of, what the places looks like now? That could be interesting to see ?
My parents got married 1 month and 1 day after she turned 20.
She refused to be a "child bride"; a war was in progress, so their wedding date was based on when he could get week-end leave from the U.S. Navy.
My wife said that my Mother "had moved from her father's house to her husband's house".
When he died in 2013, she lost her desire to continue living, so I guess it was a blessing for her {and inevitable for us}.

I'm not sure I will ever return to the old neighborhood - it has changed too much, and with the 'modern' emphasis on security, I'm not sure I would be willing to photograph the house directly,
although I might be willing to photograph the neighborhood as it is now. When we lived there, two houses stood between our house and the Church on the corner. Today, both houses have been torn down and a parking lot for the church has replaced both of them.

12-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great piece of history and great memories !