Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
C&C on Portraits
Posted By: wa5am, 11-17-2008, 11:47 AM

In the nearly 30 years I've been into photography, I've never been much of a "people" photographer except for candids and that sort of thing. I am starting to get an interest in it now, and took some yesterday. I wanted to get a photo of me and the wife to give a framed print to my mother for Christmas this year. She will be very surprised to see me in a portrait to say the least. The one of both of us was taken with available light with the K20D on tripod and set to interval timer every 5 seconds. I was not exactly spot on focus since I had limited DOF, so I may try again.

The ones of my wife by herself were taken in the same setting, however I experimented with using the flash.

I would appreciate any and all C&C good or bad... Click thumbnails for full size image.

K20D, all with FA77mm Ltd

Thanks in advance.
Morg
Views: 1,635
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Nicely done Morg. As someone having their picture taken, I'd be happy with them. As the person behind the camera, not quite so happy.

First one is on the button.
Second one, I don't like that distracting twig at top right and I think you should have been a little bit at an angle, there's just something about that shot that doesn't feel right as it is.
Third one, it looks more like she is distracted than gazing at something. I think this would have been better taken on the horizontal.
Fourth one is good except I would probably crop from bottom and left to get rid of the part of her skirt where the knee bends and also to get rid of the daylight between the tree and the edge.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
11-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Beautiful and well taken.

Natural and relaxing to look at.
11-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nicely done Morg. As someone having their picture taken, I'd be happy with them. As the person behind the camera, not quite so happy.

Second one, I don't like that distracting twig at top right and I think you should have been a little bit at an angle, there's just something about that shot that doesn't feel right as it is.
Third one, it looks more like she is distracted than gazing at something. I think this would have been better taken on the horizontal.
Fourth one is good except I would probably crop from bottom and left to get rid of the part of her skirt where the knee bends and also to get rid of the daylight between the tree and the edge.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Great! That's the sort of info I'm looking for Gary. Dang twigs! I actually had to pull a huge one down that was directly above where she was standing, but missed that little one. I didn't much care for the 3rd myself. She liked it because she didn't have her glasses on, but it looks too stiff or something to me.

11-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Beautiful and well taken.

Natural and relaxing to look at.
Thanks! I appreciate that. I love the setting out there, and it's only about 1/2 mile from our house, and on our property. Easy to become very relaxed out there...

Morg
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

I blurred the twig. Looks better now I think.
11-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by wa5am Quote
I blurred the twig. Looks better now I think.
Yes it does look better but there's still that nagging unidentified thing about it. Maybe it's because there isn't a feeling of space in the shot, perhaps that one should also been taken horizontally.