Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  
I Sing the Body Electric . . . . . . . .
Posted By: Sailor, 02-11-2021, 05:13 PM

. . . . . . . . or, you're gonna a get a charge outta this.

When I picked up my new 911 last week, I snapped a couple of shots of Porsche's electrically powered Taycans. It's ironic that Ferdinand Porsche's first automotive design was an all electric car sold (in very small numbers) in the late 19th century - long before his son, Ferry Porsche, started building Porsche sports cars shortly after World War II. It's back to the future!

Jer

Views: 1,091
02-14-2021, 07:05 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Beautiful lines on those Taycans but what's up with the grill openings in the nose???
Beats me, Larry. I suspect the two on each side of the bumper are there to force cooling air onto brakes (just a guess). There's gotta be a heat exchanger for the A/C somewhere too. ??????

Jer

02-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that I think about it I'd like the soundtrack of a Porsche 917 at full chat.
02-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Now that I think about it I'd like the soundtrack of a Porsche 917 at full chat.
Hey, Steve - I can't play you a soundtrack of a 917, but I can give you some pics of a 918 hybrid I shot three years ago. I can't remember whether I posted these earlier.

Jer

02-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Those Pipes though!!!

Hang up and DRIVE!

02-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
You may be right, Rob - the Mirai is still an 'electric' car (good looking too), but the electrons moving along all the wires are generated by a different route than is the case with cars like the Tesla and the Taycan. And you're right - if people want fast cars without internal combustion, the industry will produce them whether they're electric or powered by hamsters on a treadmill; it may take awhile, but they'll get it done. Thanks for the kind words about the pics.
Electric motors have instant torque and no need for gears. One day the car races will be like the old scalextric models.

Formula E already exists.

I just wish I could convince the coal-powered idiots in our government to support hydrogen. Australia also has huge reserves of lithium.

EVs would be okay if they had a naturally aspirated Porsche GT3 or Ferrari V12 soundtrack when driving a twisty two lane road.
There's a device that plugs into a car power socket and transmits sports car engine sounds to the FM radio. I don't think it would work in an electric car though.
02-15-2021, 07:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hi Jer.Got any shots of the horrible weather hitting Texas.How is it in your neck of the woods?--Capn Zap.
02-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Jer.Got any shots of the horrible weather hitting Texas.How is it in your neck of the woods?--Capn Zap.
Hey Capn - it's bloody cold for us (currently 19F)! Not much stuff on the ground here in Lake Jackson, owing to our proximity to the coast, so nothing interesting to photograph really.

It's amazing how "soft" we've become after 25 years in SE Texas. When we lived in Boston, central Ohio and mid-Michigan, a winter's day like this would be routine, but down here it's a major event. Nobody knows how to drive on snowy streets, and our cold-resistance is non-existent. When we lived in Michigan, I took a power walk every day before work as long as the temperature was 15F or above. Sounds crazy to me now.

Fortunately we are forecast to see low 70s in a few days.

Jer

02-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, Steve - I can't play you a soundtrack of a 917, but I can give you some pics of a 918 hybrid I shot three years ago. I can't remember whether I posted these earlier.

Jer

Hey Jer, how come you didn't get one of those?
02-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Electric motors have instant torque and no need for gears. One day the car races will be like the old scalextric models.

Formula E already exists.

I just wish I could convince the coal-powered idiots in our government to support hydrogen. Australia also has huge reserves of lithium.
Electric cars will need less routine maintenance, as well - something that trucking companies are keen to realize.

I'm vaguely familiar with Formula E - Porsche is competing (or trying to) in that series - but I don't know much about it.

In any case, my friend, electric is the future, for sure.

Jer
02-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Biggest problem I have with electric cars is the use of computers and associated screens. These are fine whilst they are new but, if anything should go wrong with them it can cost a fortune to get fixed (a case in point is the failing screens on Tesla model Xs). Granted modern ICE cars can be plagued with eletrical issues as well, but I think we have seen the end of the days when enthusiasts can keep cars on the road almost indefinately.
02-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Jer, how come you didn't get one of those?
Hey, Steve, if I had your money, I would have!!

I photographed this car in 2018 at a Porsche Club concours; the guy that owned it also entered a Carrera GT and a 959 - around 2.5 million bucks worth of cars. He seemed totally comfortable with people milling around them and looking in 'em. A cool customer - I would have been hyperventilating!

Jer

---------- Post added 02-15-2021 at 04:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Biggest problem I have with electric cars is the use of computers and associated screens. These are fine whilst they are new but, if anything should go wrong with them it can cost a fortune to get fixed (a case in point is the failing screens on Tesla model Xs). Granted modern ICE cars can be plagued with eletrical issues as well, but I think we have seen the end of the days when enthusiasts can keep cars on the road almost indefinately.
You raise a good point, but it's dangerous to assume that the state of current technology will remain static - it won't, and I'm betting the reliability of these systems will increase while their cost will decrease as electric cars become commonplace.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 02-15-2021 at 12:16 PM.
02-15-2021, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Electric cars will need less routine maintenance, as well - something that trucking companies are keen to realize.
That makes sense. The low end torque of electric motors would be ideal for trucks, also. I think fully automated electric trucks are being used in some mining operations.

QuoteQuote:
I'm vaguely familiar with Formula E - Porsche is competing (or trying to) in that series - but I don't know much about it.
Likewise - just saying that electric motors don't spell an end to motorsport.

QuoteQuote:
In any case, my friend, electric is the future, for sure.
I'm looking forward to not having to breathe the stink of diesels in traffic jams!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Most cars these days are dependent on computers, especially for the operation of the engine management. I only need to listen to my car sounding like a diesel when it starts before it warms up enough to change the way it operates. Ironically, management of a battery and electric motor ought to be much simpler than an internal combustion engine.