Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
I Sing the Body Electric . . . . . . . .
Camera: iPhoneXs Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 02-11-2021, 05:13 PM

. . . . . . . . or, you're gonna a get a charge outta this.

When I picked up my new 911 last week, I snapped a couple of shots of Porsche's electrically powered Taycans. It's ironic that Ferdinand Porsche's first automotive design was an all electric car sold (in very small numbers) in the late 19th century - long before his son, Ferry Porsche, started building Porsche sports cars shortly after World War II. It's back to the future!

Jer

Views: 1,079
02-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Electric cars ...... Hush Puppies!

Hang up and DRIVE!
02-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Silent Death or so Pedestrians say
02-12-2021, 01:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Jer,

Beautiful EV cars and looking at those very good photographs of yours, it does make me think.

As many people know, electric cars will eventually be all that is sold, at least in the G8 countries it appears. Most of these countries will mandate within the next 9 to 20 years.

I do hope range issues, cold climate battery performance, country(s) wide charging infrastructure , charging 'tank ups' that are competitive to gas fueling times, etc., will be workable, practical and in place, completely, before these mandates take place.

I have every confidence in engineers to address and solve these issues, but they certainly will be under enormous pressure and time constraints, to plan, design, test and implement the rapidly advancing changes.

It certainly will be a revolution in transportation and because of the pressure to implement within a tight schedule, will perhaps have to be more of a revolution, than an evolution.

I'm not confident that everything has been carefully thought out, as of yet, in regards to resolving the many issues, implementing the requirements of the new system , assessing the complexity , and ensuring that the effective planning required to manage this massive change over, will progress smoothly and efficiently as we may hope.

I don't mean to appear cynical. For most of my career, I was a manager of people, organizations and change, and this experience no doubt, has formed my thoughts and observations.

Les

02-12-2021, 04:07 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still think that the Mirai has the right idea; longer range and you don't have to wait hours to recharge. Yes, there needs to be infrastructure, but it makes more sense than lithium batteries (sorry Elon). Anyway, nice shot of a very cool looking car. People won't have to give up their speed and performance just because of electric power.
02-12-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Electric cars ...... Hush Puppies!
I'll have to remember that one. They're quiet but - with the virtually instant torque of electric motors - they can be very quick.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Silent Death or so Pedestrians say
Well . . . . . . if these pedestrians are still around to talk about it, maybe the death part is a bit hyperbolic.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Jer,

Beautiful EV cars and looking at those very good photographs of yours, it does make me think.

As many people know, electric cars will eventually be all that is sold, at least in the G8 countries it appears. Most of these countries will mandate within the next 9 to 20 years.

I do hope range issues, cold climate battery performance, country(s) wide charging infrastructure , charging 'tank ups' that are competitive to gas fueling times, etc., will be workable, practical and in place, completely, before these mandates take place.

I have every confidence in engineers to address and solve these issues, but they certainly will be under enormous pressure and time constraints, to plan, design, test and implement the rapidly advancing changes.

It certainly will be a revolution in transportation and because of the pressure to implement within a tight schedule, will perhaps have to be more of a revolution, than an evolution.

I'm not confident that everything has been carefully thought out, as of yet, in regards to resolving the many issues, implementing the requirements of the new system , assessing the complexity , and ensuring that the effective planning required to manage this massive change over, will progress smoothly and efficiently as we may hope.

I don't mean to appear cynical. For most of my career, I was a manager of people, organizations and change, and this experience no doubt, has formed my thoughts and observations.

Les
Hey, Les, thanks for the kind words about the pics. Revolutionary new technologies always bring dislocation and disruption, so you're right in thinking that the conversion from internal combustion to electric propulsion for cars and trucks will cause changes we can't comprehend at this point. As an historical example, the mass-produced automobile, itself, literally altered everything about life from where people chose to live and shop to how war is waged - along with a myriad of other changes nobody could have predicted in the late 19th century. The internet and smart phone are two other examples that are altering fundamentally life as I write this. Scary but exciting at the same time!

Still, I'm enjoying the internal combustion engine in the autumn of its life; I smile every time I hear the growl of a Coyote V-8, the burble of a 'Vette or the snarl of a Porsche flat 6.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I still think that the Mirai has the right idea; longer range and you don't have to wait hours to recharge. Yes, there needs to be infrastructure, but it makes more sense than lithium batteries (sorry Elon). Anyway, nice shot of a very cool looking car. People won't have to give up their speed and performance just because of electric power.
You may be right, Rob - the Mirai is still an 'electric' car (good looking too), but the electrons moving along all the wires are generated by a different route than is the case with cars like the Tesla and the Taycan. And you're right - if people want fast cars without internal combustion, the industry will produce them whether they're electric or powered by hamsters on a treadmill; it may take awhile, but they'll get it done. Thanks for the kind words about the pics.

Jer
02-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EVs would be okay if they had a naturally aspirated Porsche GT3 or Ferrari V12 soundtrack when driving a twisty two lane road.

02-13-2021, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
EVs would be okay if they had a naturally aspirated Porsche GT3 or Ferrari V12 soundtrack when driving a twisty two lane road.

Exactly.... I don’t want a Hummmmmmmm, but a snarl!

Hang up and DRIVE!
02-13-2021, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Actually, I think some of them already have this feature. I'm pretty sure Taycans - at least some versions - have a driver-selected "sport" soundtrack, and I dimly remember seeing something similar said about one of the Tesla models.

Jer
02-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Actually, I think some of them already have this feature. I'm pretty sure Taycans - at least some versions - have a driver-selected "sport" soundtrack, and I dimly remember seeing something similar said about one of the Tesla models.

Jer

BMW has has it for years on most model’s if I remember the story, but not adjustable. But that changed.....

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/20/bmw-change-active-sound-m235i/

Hang up and DRIVE!
02-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
BMW has has it for years on most model’s if I remember the story, but not adjustable. But that changed.....

You can change the fake engine noise on the 2020 BMW M235i Gran Coupe | Autoblog

Hang up and DRIVE!
I was talking specifically about electric cars and synthetic internal combustion engine sounds, but you're right; a number of manufacturers synthetically enhance engine noises through sound systems and/or by "piping" engine sounds one way or another into the cabin.

Jer
02-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Understood, but I remembered this tidbit, I just have a problem knowing it’s electric, and not supposed to sound “correct “ to me!
I’ve been in a Tesla blastoff and it was a rocket literally.

Hang up and DRIVE!
02-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Understood, but I remembered this tidbit, I just have a problem knowing it’s electric, and not supposed to sound “correct “ to me!
I’ve been in a Tesla blastoff and it was a rocket literally.

Hang up and DRIVE!
I hear you - I'm uncomfortable with the lack of authenticity in a synthesized sound that tries to make an electric car sound like something it isn't. I'm getting long in the tooth (74), so I may never own an electric, but if I do buy one I want to appreciate it for what it is and not pretend it's something else.

Jer
02-13-2021, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I suspect that’s why we both drive real cars ......

Hang up and DRIVE!
02-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful lines on those Taycans but what's up with the grill openings in the nose???