Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Why I quit going there for birding
Posted By: jpzk, 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM

The sign tells it all (in French but you don't have to be fluent to understand it)

That is ONE OF the several reasons why I quit going to what was once one of my very favorite birding access trails.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by jpzk; 03-01-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added photo
Views: 2,340
03-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The sign tells it all (in French but you don't have to be fluent to understand it)

That is ONE OF the several reasons why I quit going to what was once one of my very favorite birding access trails.
I know the feeling.

Several years ago - after rain which left the trail muddy - my wife and I walked a trail in the park which preserves Lafitte's swamp in Louisiana.
Just after I had taken a photo of a spider web across the trail - while I was looking for a better angle - an ATV came splashing down the trail, scattering us, and destroying the web.

03-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
my wife and I walked a trail in the park which preserves Lafitte's swamp in Louisiana.
My swamp is very wet and it is rare there hasn't been a rain. I never saw an atv though. Perhaps I went in extreme cold and hot days to avoid the British errr the people.
03-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I was in a Park recently when a Ranger came up and had a chat. He noted my DFA 150-450 and asked me to take photos of any motor cyclists (a bit of an issue at the moment) and send them to him. Happy to oblige. I think he thought I could take pictures of them from the moon.... given the size of the lens.

I go out of my way when visiting parks these days to note down the relevant phone number etc.... see lots of people camping with fires during the fire ban season... I send the details inc a photo if I can.... so I guess I'm a snitch.
Good job!

Snitches are heroes -- the only people who dislike them are criminals.
03-04-2021, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
We need to reduce population growth and eventually reduce populations.
No, not a terrifyingly misguided idea at all.....

03-04-2021, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

the mass of humans is an order of magnitude higher than that of all wild mammals combined
The biomass distribution on Earth | PNAS
03-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Years ago, I saw a T-shirt with the slogan :

'Help restore the balance of nature -
Make the human race an endangered species.'

There is so much advertising these days extolling the virtues of this or that motor vehicle (I do not own one, of any description) and showing them being driven across all kinds of terrain, that it is hardly surprising that natural habitat is being misused and abused, with no support from the authorities when some of us try to indicate that this behaviour is unacceptable. Unfortunately, as has been indicated, preserving the environment raises no money, nor garners any votes. Nature can exist, and indeed thrive, without the human race - the human race cannot survive without nature.
03-05-2021, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
We have a decent enough area here people would like if they just got rid of the nature. 75% have head phones. I pointed out a bald eagle to people today and they couldn't be bothered. I pointed out a hawk with a squirrel in the nature area and several people commented and even laughed about dead squirrels are good. Most yell and scare everything away. We have a rare pileated woodpecker that is loud and no one bothers to look. When you get 100 seconds without car noise there are many kinds of small birds you can hear and locate.
Seems like it is becoming the norm: many of those are "nature lovers" (pun) but they have no concerns/respect about the wildlife.
Too bad it is increasingly so.

---------- Post added 03-05-21 at 06:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
In the west side of Ottawa near the Ottawa River, the Britannia Conservation Areas occupies around 60 hectares. Also known as 'Mud Lake', it's a unique habitat for a variety of wildlife, notably birds. A black bear was seen in the summer, and removed by conservation officers. Generally popular with photographers and birders, it's become crowded during the pandemic as more people visit to exercise and get a peaceful respite from the stress of being cooped in.

There have been complaints of bicycles and free-running unleashed dogs. Hundreds or skaters are using the ice on the lake, clogging up some of the paths, trails and limited parking spaces. Even before the pandemic, I had heard comments that too many photographers were spoiling the atmosphere. As the article from the Ottawa Citizen suggests, it might be "loved to death" these days.

The gem of the west end: Are pandemic crowds loving Mud Lake to death? | Ottawa Citizen

But, what to do? It's a public space, open to anyone. Restricting wheeled vehicles and unleashed pets seems reasonable. However, it's not a huge area, and too much activity may harm its fragile ecosystem.

- Craig
I know the area quite well: I lived in Ottawa for 16 + years.
I remember that it was, at the time, a fairly quiet place if you went early enough on weekdays.
Then again, over the past few years, there has been a real infatuation for "nature" all over the places, to a point where parks and nature preserves are overcrowded.
Unfortunately, some (many) of those "nature lovers" do not respect "rules" and that is very sad.

03-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear you with respect to motorized vehicles in public lands, especially in the city, but the best birding park in Toronto also has a red line through my 4 legged friend.

It is classed a bird sanctuary which is permissible when number of sighted species is over 300. My favourite local park right now sits at 292. I live in fear of another 8 species. I am at 149 species on my personal list, all of them photographed while out with my wife and 1 or 2 dogs (always on leashes)

During COVID I start to hear complaints about the park being “overcrowded “ even though it could be that way before COVID also.

It is a general use park on the lake front, and there are always joggers, dog walkers, birders ( even teaching their kids) and people clearing off ponds to skate and play hockey (accompanied by Tim hortons coffee urns and donuts - typically Canadian) there are even kite boarders ( yes, in February and March with water temperatures at 2C (I asked)

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-16-2021 at 03:58 AM.
03-05-2021, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
In North America, I can tell you that litter in the cities I'm familiar with in western Canada is a lot less than it was 60 years ago. Stuff used to be strewn all over the place. Legislation, enforcement and general attitude about littering has made a significant difference. I'm in my early 70's and have witnessed this refreshing change.

Unfortunately though visual litter has increased...graffiti.
Glad to see that your part of the world has actually improved, quite the contrary here, unfortunately.

My daughter is an avid mountain climber, photographer and hiker who lives out West (near Calgary -- "in the boonies") and goes to places where true natural areas still remain almost untouched.
She is guilty of "invasion" herself you would say (pun) but she has noticed, over the years, that some areas are also becoming crowded and that some species (animal, vegetal) have decreased in numbers ... who's at fault? Climate change? Crowds, Litter?

Here, the situation is worsening year after year and all levels of governments are throwing the ball at each other as to "who" is responsible for enforcing those regulations.

The "best" answer I 've received recently: we do not have staff because of the pandemic.
03-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Glad to see that your part of the world has actually improved, quite the contrary here, unfortunately.

My daughter is an avid mountain climber, photographer and hiker who lives out West (near Calgary -- "in the boonies") and goes to places where true natural areas still remain almost untouched.
She is guilty of "invasion" herself you would say (pun) but she has noticed, over the years, that some areas are also becoming crowded and that some species (animal, vegetal) have decreased in numbers ... who's at fault? Climate change? Crowds, Litter?

Here, the situation is worsening year after year and all levels of governments are throwing the ball at each other as to "who" is responsible for enforcing those regulations.

The "best" answer I 've received recently: we do not have staff because of the pandemic.
Calgary , southwestern Alberta is a wonderful areas. Prairies, mountains, foothills...all not far away from that dynamic city. Our daughter lives in south east Alberta and loves the place.

In Canada I pretty well stay in the prairies...Mb., Sask., Alberta, occasional forays into NW Ontario. I'm a prairie boy born and bred.

Manitoba has about 1.3 million population and about 650,000 sq. kms. and the greater Wpg. area has about 800,000 +/- population. I live on the outskirts of the 'Peg. From where we are, it's about 90 miles to the Canadian Shield (Whiteshell PP), 2 hours away from the Boreal forest, a couple hours from a desert.....we have over 100,000 lakes, and part of the northern part of the province (Churchill) is polar bear country Where I am is at the northern edge of the great plains.

I know I sound like I'm bragging, probably am a bit. But more, I'm indicating how much area, wilderness, etc. we have and I like the low population areas. It is very easy and not too far to go to relatively uninhabited wild areas and I really like that, Similar in Alberta and Saskatchewan and I understand Quebec has lots of great areas to travel, although I've never been there.

I do think that many in the world, would have difficulty conceiving of the absolute immensity and beauty of our country. I have flown over Manitoba in float bush planes and small aircraft over the boreal forest, other occasions over the Canadian Shield in NE Mb./ NW Ontario. I'm always amazed how far and long (hours) you can fly over forested areas, without seeing any sign of people.

The wild animals I have seen in the forests and bush over they years is to me, incredible and I realize we are fortunate.
03-06-2021, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I do think that many in the world, would have difficulty conceiving of the absolute immensity and beauty of our country.
Years ago I lived in Lyon France and the company was sponsoring a trip for employees that started in montreal, and went west to Niagara Falls, ending in Toronto, the map was on A4 paper ( the metric version of letter sized) suck to the right hand side of a bulletin board that was about 5 feet wide(1.5 meters) Knowing I was Canadian, someone asked where the mountains were, and if it was possible for a day trip. I simply pointed about another 3 feet (1 meter) off the left side of the bulletin board. I had to explain that all of France fit into just Ontario.

I don’t think it is an issue of conceiving the size exactly, but more that the geographic features of allmost all of North America, mountains, volcanos, deserts, even the Grand Canyon (the Ardeche in France) are all compressed into a much smaller space

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-16-2021 at 04:00 AM.
03-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Years ago I lived in Lyon France and the company was sponsoring a trip for employees that started in montreal, and went west to Niagara Falls, ending in Toronto, the map was on A4 paper ( the metric version of letter sized) suck to the right hand side of a bulletin board that was about 5 feet wide(1.5 meters) Knowing I was Canadian, someone asked where the mountains were, and if it was possible for a day trip. I simply pointed about another 3 feet (1 meter) off the left side of the bulletin board. I had to explain that all of France fit into just Ontario.

I don’t think it is an issue of conceiving the size exactly, but more that the geographic features of allmost all of North America, mountains, volcanos, deserts, even the Grand Canyon (the Andeche in France) are all compressed into a much smaller space
I've been asked by clients if I know their cousin who lives in Vancouver. Nothing surprises me anymore.
03-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've been asked by clients if I know their cousin who lives in Vancouver. Nothing surprises me anymore.
"And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice."
05-16-2021, 03:57 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That guy on the ATV surely didn't see the sign ...
05-16-2021, 04:01 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
That guy on the ATV surely didn't see the sign ...
Maybe he just needs glasses. Note he is looking to his left. I had a friend like that once, always looking back over his shoulder, asking”what did that sign say ?”