Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Why I quit going there for birding
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K3 
Posted By: jpzk, 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM

The sign tells it all (in French but you don't have to be fluent to understand it)

That is ONE OF the several reasons why I quit going to what was once one of my very favorite birding access trails.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by jpzk; 03-01-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added photo
Views: 2,347
03-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent campaigning against ATV access to public land.
03-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent campaigning against ATV access to public land.
Thanks for the reply, Norm.

I just can imagine what you went through; that's a very tough endeavour trying to "make things right", especially when it involves nature.

I met with a fellow who, for years and years, tried to force the local authorities of that small village to amend their policies regarding access by motorized "vehicles" ... that was back in 2009 if I recall. On top of that, the "authorities" have permitted a mix of hiking trails AND hunting right across the main trail .... a bit scary!
That sign even shows "no hunting"

Ten years later, nothing but "signs" ; no real enforcement. And the situation is getting worse as the years go on.
I find it increasingly more difficult to get to a "quiet" spot in nature, unless I travel much longer distances; believe me, I live nowhere near a large city, so that should be easy enough, right?
03-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We have a decent enough area here people would like if they just got rid of the nature. 75% have head phones. I pointed out a bald eagle to people today and they couldn't be bothered. I pointed out a hawk with a squirrel in the nature area and several people commented and even laughed about dead squirrels are good. Most yell and scare everything away. We have a rare pileated woodpecker that is loud and no one bothers to look. When you get 100 seconds without car noise there are many kinds of small birds you can hear and locate.

03-01-2021, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks for the reply, Norm.

I just can imagine what you went through; that's a very tough endeavour trying to "make things right", especially when it involves nature.

I met with a fellow who, for years and years, tried to force the local authorities of that small village to amend their policies regarding access by motorized "vehicles" ... that was back in 2009 if I recall. On top of that, the "authorities" have permitted a mix of hiking trails AND hunting right across the main trail .... a bit scary!
That sign even shows "no hunting"

Ten years later, nothing but "signs" ; no real enforcement. And the situation is getting worse as the years go on.
I find it increasingly more difficult to get to a "quiet" spot in nature, unless I travel much longer distances; believe me, I live nowhere near a large city, so that should be easy enough, right?
It's simple, ATVers are supporting the economy. Those of us who try and keep nature intact don't contribute much to the economy. Nature can survive without the economy. Living near Algonquin park, gives me a certain amount of peace. The locals are as fuel burning as anyone anywhere, but the park doesn't allow hunting (most of the year) ATV's snow machines or drones. So, I don' have to go far to get away from it. It's like retirement for me. The park staff keep things as they should be. If you can't change regulations where you live, move to where it's the way you want it to be.

Last edited by normhead; 03-02-2021 at 06:36 AM.
03-01-2021, 06:53 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I was in a Park recently when a Ranger came up and had a chat. He noted my DFA 150-450 and asked me to take photos of any motor cyclists (a bit of an issue at the moment) and send them to him. Happy to oblige. I think he thought I could take pictures of them from the moon.... given the size of the lens.

I go out of my way when visiting parks these days to note down the relevant phone number etc.... see lots of people camping with fires during the fire ban season... I send the details inc a photo if I can.... so I guess I'm a snitch.
03-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same reason I stopped going up to one of my favorite trout streams up in Pennsylvania. Sad about that.

03-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's simple, ATVers are supporting the economy. Those of us who try and keep nature intact don't contribute much to the economy.
And at the root of all the world's problems is the model of an economy that we work with. It is the same here. Many people just ignore the rules and the environment suffers. We just spent a few days with our grandchildren in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney. There are some nice bushwalks there but a lot of the walkers weren't there for the bush. I am not really sure why they were there. At least ATVs can't go down those tracks.
03-02-2021, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the west side of Ottawa near the Ottawa River, the Britannia Conservation Areas occupies around 60 hectares. Also known as 'Mud Lake', it's a unique habitat for a variety of wildlife, notably birds. A black bear was seen in the summer, and removed by conservation officers. Generally popular with photographers and birders, it's become crowded during the pandemic as more people visit to exercise and get a peaceful respite from the stress of being cooped in.

There have been complaints of bicycles and free-running unleashed dogs. Hundreds or skaters are using the ice on the lake, clogging up some of the paths, trails and limited parking spaces. Even before the pandemic, I had heard comments that too many photographers were spoiling the atmosphere. As the article from the Ottawa Citizen suggests, it might be "loved to death" these days.

The gem of the west end: Are pandemic crowds loving Mud Lake to death? | Ottawa Citizen

But, what to do? It's a public space, open to anyone. Restricting wheeled vehicles and unleashed pets seems reasonable. However, it's not a huge area, and too much activity may harm its fragile ecosystem.

- Craig
03-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
In the west side of Ottawa near the Ottawa River, the Britannia Conservation Areas occupies around 60 hectares. Also known as 'Mud Lake', it's a unique habitat for a variety of wildlife, notably birds. A black bear was seen in the summer, and removed by conservation officers. Generally popular with photographers and birders, it's become crowded during the pandemic as more people visit to exercise and get a peaceful respite from the stress of being cooped in.

There have been complaints of bicycles and free-running unleashed dogs. Hundreds or skaters are using the ice on the lake, clogging up some of the paths, trails and limited parking spaces. Even before the pandemic, I had heard comments that too many photographers were spoiling the atmosphere. As the article from the Ottawa Citizen suggests, it might be "loved to death" these days.

The gem of the west end: Are pandemic crowds loving Mud Lake to death? | Ottawa Citizen

But, what to do? It's a public space, open to anyone. Restricting wheeled vehicles and unleashed pets seems reasonable. However, it's not a huge area, and too much activity may harm its fragile ecosystem.

- Craig
There have been complaints about bicycles on dirt paths on some parks out here. After a good rain, some say they can really hack up the paths and that these paths need to be foot traffic only.
03-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

- Craig
It seems the Adirondacks are being "loved to death" in NY. It's even worse in the southeastern Catskills. Now there is talk of day use permits (would probably need an amendment to the NY Constituion) or parking permits (more likely).

Some places in the Catskills really got trashed this past summer...

Video Reveals Shocking Amount Of Trash Left At Kaaterskill Clove

The Peekamoose Blue Hole was listed by a website as one of the best swimming spots in the US a few years ago and now you have to have a permit to go there on weekends...

QuoteQuote:
How to Get a Permit

A permit will be required to visit the Blue Hole on Weekends and Holidays between May 15th and September 15th of each year. Permits can be acquired from Reserve America at: Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - New York State Parks.

Permits are free of charge, and must be acquired at least 24 hours in advance, but no more than a week in advance. Only advance registrations will be accepted. No walk-in registrations are available. Visitors will be required to list the names of all members of their party when making the reservation, but can change the names up to one day in advance. Each permit will be limited to 6 individuals. Visitors must have a permit with them at all times.
03-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm kind of pleased that there's been a surge in park use as a result of the Pandemic but driving ATVs through trout streams is quite another thing. There have to be rules and they have to be enforced.
03-02-2021, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But, what to do? It's a public space, open to anyone.
We need to reduce population growth and eventually reduce populations. Even in overall low population density countries like Canada and Australia, populations are concentrated around major cities and the natural environment around those areas is taking a big hit. The effects are not just the obvious things, like litter and erosion - it's noise pollution, light pollution and general disturbance. Peace and quiet are becoming scarce resources and we need to recognise that.

Last edited by Des; 03-02-2021 at 06:24 PM.
03-02-2021, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Living in So-Cal we see few places that are minimally trashed . Some areas are exclusively used by motorized "enthusiasts " unwilling to use their legs . In the 60's, a short desert hike could result in peaceful solitude . Last year at one of my favorite birding sites I met a twenty something Asian lad who carried a radio that he loudly played " to keep wild animals away" . This fellow was quite amiable but not accustomed to being in an almost natural setting . After I assured him that we were safe the walk became enjoyable sans boombox . ???
03-02-2021, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
We need to reduce population growth and eventually reduce populations. Even in overall low population density countries like Canada and Australia, populations are concentrated around major cities and the natural environment around those areas is taking a big hit. The effects are not just the obvious things, like litter and erosion - it's noise pollution, light pollution and general disturbance. Peace and quiet are becoming scarce resources and we need to recognise that.
In North America, I can tell you that litter in the cities I'm familiar with in western Canada is a lot less than it was 60 years ago. Stuff used to be strewn all over the place. Legislation, enforcement and general attitude about littering has made a significant difference. I'm in my early 70's and have witnessed this refreshing change.

Unfortunately though visual litter has increased...graffiti.