Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Gray and Brown
Posted By: Sailor, 03-08-2021, 05:57 PM

Yesterday, I drove my freshly-waxed Carrera to the local college for its first "official" photos - top up. The car is a light gray (dubbed "Chalk"), one of Porsche's "special" colors designed to yank cash from a buyer's pocket and baffle the sensors and RAW processors of digital cameras. To the human eyeball and neuron processing system, the color is a subtle, sexy shade of gray but photographically renders itself as a range of colors (ivory, almond, off-white and - on rare occasion - gray) depending on conditions; even the Porsche configurator gets it wrong.

Here are a couple of "compressed" shots of the car. The first one is in color which manages - after all kinds of fiddling with PP - to darkly approximate the actual color of the car; the second one is B&W. Note the brown palm leaves and other flora left behind by the "deep freeze" we experienced a couple of weeks ago.

Jer

Views: 944
03-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I won't say that it looks better with the top down, but of course it "looks better" with the top down because it must be a lot more fun that way.
You are absolutely right, and It particularly looks better with the top down when you're inside driving it.

However, to my eye, the 911 Cabriolet is one of the few convertibles that looks better with the top up rather than down - especially in this latest generation in which the convertibles have the same iconic profile as 911 coupes. With the top down, the visual mass of the rear of the car, which carries the folded top as well as the engine and transaxle in the new widened body, looks a bit unbalanced - at least from some vantage points.

Thanks for looking again at the thread and my efforts to capture the car's color accurately.

Jer

03-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent pics of your great looking car Jer! I agree with you that it is one of the best looking convertibles with the top up. It sure is sad to see how bad the storm was to the palms. I read that the large queen and royal palms are dead but some of the smaller varieties may make a recovery.
03-15-2021, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Gray and Brown

Great car, no matter what the colors are!
Amazing lines with the top in place, that’s world class by itself.

As to the color of the paint, I saw a identically colored 7 series BMW today in the sun , And the amount of “flop” in the paint was incredible , I suspect that’s the issue you’re having?

Staggering tires is common in many sporty cars, my BMWs did as does my current Corvette. Those same mfgrs also love using two or three rim diameters also in different packages.
Hang up and DRIVE!
03-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent pics of your great looking car Jer! I agree with you that it is one of the best looking convertibles with the top up. It sure is sad to see how bad the storm was to the palms. I read that the large queen and royal palms are dead but some of the smaller varieties may make a recovery.
Thanks, Todd. There are a lot of palms around here - or at least there were. I hope some survive.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Great car, no matter what the colors are!
Amazing lines with the top in place, that’s world class by itself.

As to the color of the paint, I saw a identically colored 7 series BMW today in the sun , And the amount of “flop” in the paint was incredible , I suspect that’s the issue you’re having?

Staggering tires is common in many sporty cars, my BMWs did as does my current Corvette. Those same mfgrs also love using two or three rim diameters also in different packages.
Hang up and DRIVE!
Thanks much for the kind words, Mike. All my Bimmers and Porsches have had staggered widths, but my new car is the first I've owned with staggered diameters, as well.

Jer