Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Gray and Brown
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Brazosport College ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-08-2021, 05:57 PM

Yesterday, I drove my freshly-waxed Carrera to the local college for its first "official" photos - top up. The car is a light gray (dubbed "Chalk"), one of Porsche's "special" colors designed to yank cash from a buyer's pocket and baffle the sensors and RAW processors of digital cameras. To the human eyeball and neuron processing system, the color is a subtle, sexy shade of gray but photographically renders itself as a range of colors (ivory, almond, off-white and - on rare occasion - gray) depending on conditions; even the Porsche configurator gets it wrong.

Here are a couple of "compressed" shots of the car. The first one is in color which manages - after all kinds of fiddling with PP - to darkly approximate the actual color of the car; the second one is B&W. Note the brown palm leaves and other flora left behind by the "deep freeze" we experienced a couple of weeks ago.

Jer

Views: 665
03-09-2021, 01:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bet you told your partner you were just popping out to buy a grey card to help with your photography...
03-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Bet you told your partner you were just popping out to buy a grey card to help with your photography...
I wasn't sufficiently smart to think of that!

Jer
03-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful car great color no mater what the color, although for myself I prefer red.

03-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Beautiful car great color no mater what the color, although for myself I prefer red.
Thanks much!

Jer
03-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice wheels there Jer.Looking good--cap'n zap
03-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice wheels there Jer.Looking good--cap'n zap
Thanks, my friend. I'm still trying to nail the color - which is very cool (to my eye) - but so far I haven't got it right. The car is a bit too dark in the color shot I posted here.

Jer
03-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice pix, bit I especially like the B&W. Boy looks to be big 'meats' on the rear.

Different size (width wise) wheels and tires front and back ?

03-11-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice pix, bit I especially like the B&W. Boy looks to be big 'meats' on the rear.

Different size (width wise) wheels and tires front and back ?
Hey, Les - thanks much.

The wheels are indeed staggered: 20" front (245/35 tires) and 21" rear (305/30 tires). Interestingly, the car is equipped with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires - it's been a long, long time since I've owned a car wearing Goodyear rubber.

Also, I've attached a photo taken with my D FA 15-30 that does a better job reproducing the actual color (as seen and interpreted by human eyes and neurons) of the car. It's not quite there, but getting closer.

Jer

03-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
MSL
Pentaxian

The most expensive 18% grey calibration card you'll ever travel with. Good choice for a photographer
03-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, Les - thanks much.

The wheels are indeed staggered: 20" front (245/35 tires) and 21" rear (305/30 tires). Interestingly, the car is equipped with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires - it's been a long, long time since I've owned a car wearing Goodyear rubber.

Also, I've attached a photo taken with my D FA 15-30 that does a better job reproducing the actual color (as seen and interpreted by human eyes and neurons) of the car. It's not quite there, but getting closer.

Jer

Great shot with the 15-30. I don't have that lens, I have the 24-70 F 2.8, but for my ASP-C K5 I use my 12-24 and I try to do the same type shots of interesting automobilia, as you do...close and wide.

When buying replacement tires, for a vehicle for the longest time, I would get Michelin, but I broke that habit a few years ago, when we needed winter tires.

Our new tires, were not quite winter (All weather, not all season) , but did have the snowflake on the mountain symbol certifying use in snow, ice. Two months after we had them put on our large sedan...we were making a winter trip across the three Canadian prairie provinces , trying to out run a prairie blizzard. We did 700 miles in about 12 hours....going from -6C to -35 C....driving on ice covered roads, snow covered roads, etc....and those tires did their job, quite well.

They were Goodyear Assurance All Weather. I was impressed.

With our new vehicle ('20 Chevy SUV) I wasn't prepared to be impressed with the factory tires...Bridgestone All Season, light truck tires. But these Bridgestones have also done the job in the winter...deep snow traction, cold temp (-30 plus/minus) stopping, cornering, accelerating, summer weather, heavy rain, etc. I've become a fan of these Bridgestones.

Engineers always find a way to improve stuff.

I do remember when I first was aware of improving cornering by use of wider rear/narrower front tires/wheels. Think it was around the late '60's/ 1970.

I'm sure your Porsche benefits from this spec and of course all the other specs that have been integrated into that beautiful grand touring, sports car.

Les
03-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is definitely an unusual colour combo but it works.
03-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The most expensive 18% grey calibration card you'll ever travel with. Good choice for a photographer
You've got that right! Thanks for looking.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great shot with the 15-30. I don't have that lens, I have the 24-70 F 2.8, but for my ASP-C K5 I use my 12-24 and I try to do the same type shots of interesting automobilia, as you do...close and wide . . . . . . .

. . . . . .I do remember when I first was aware of improving cornering by use of wider rear/narrower front tires/wheels. Think it was around the late '60's/ 1970.

I'm sure your Porsche benefits from this spec and of course all the other specs that have been integrated into that beautiful grand touring, sports car.

Les
Thanks, again, Les. I really love how the 15-30 renders photos, but it sure is a big thing to lug around. Still . . . . . I don't regret buying it one bit.

We've had Bridgestone tires on a number of cars over the years, including Connie's BMW X3 M40i, and I've never had an issue with them. I think all of them have been run-flats, which came in handy more than once.

All five of my BMWs - starting with my 2003 325i - and Connie's X3 have had wider rear tires/wheels than those in the front. The same is true for all four of my Porsche's, but my new 911 is the first car I've owned with staggered diameters as well as widths.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That is definitely an unusual colour combo but it works.
Hey, thanks much, EM.

Jer
03-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Chasing Chalk

I took some late-afternoon shots of my car parked in our driveway a couple of days ago. These pics capture the look of Chalk better than any I've done so far. Good enough for me, anyway, so now I can focus () on driving the car rather than photographing it.

Jer

03-14-2021, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These pics capture the look of Chalk better than any I've done so far
I won't say that it looks better with the top down, but of course it "looks better" with the top down because it must be a lot more fun that way.