PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 486
04-02-2021, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot.
04-03-2021, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Nice shot of American White Pelicans. We get a number of AWP fly north to my province (Manitoba) to breed during the summer. They start arriving around late April/early May and a birder told me some fly up from Louisiana.
04-03-2021, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice shot of American White Pelicans. We get a number of AWP fly north to my province (Manitoba) to breed during the summer. They start arriving around late April/early May and a birder told me some fly up from Louisiana.
I reported the wing tag on the AWP that I photographed the other day to the North American Bird Banding Program run by the U S Geological Survey. My image was made at a local riparian area in Gilbert, Arizona. They reported that the pelican was tagged at Bancroft, Idaho last July. They do get around.

04-03-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
I reported the wing tag on the AWP that I photographed the other day to the North American Bird Banding Program run by the U S Geological Survey. My image was made at a local riparian area in Gilbert, Arizona. They reported that the pelican was tagged at Bancroft, Idaho last July. They do get around.
Think I saw that pix of yours...adult AWP with a yellow background tag on it's wing and numbers...68 or something ? Excellent phot.

I go our to the Red River up here and at the St. Andrew's Locks there are always plenty of AWP's congregating, swimming, feeding. I'll have to keep an eye open for those tags. Usually I have my 150-500 Sigma telephoto (K5) and if I see a tag, will have to take pix of it.
04-04-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Think I saw that pix of yours...adult AWP with a yellow background tag on it's wing and numbers...68 or something ? Excellent phot.

I go our to the Red River up here and at the St. Andrew's Locks there are always plenty of AWP's congregating, swimming, feeding. I'll have to keep an eye open for those tags. Usually I have my 150-500 Sigma telephoto (K5) and if I see a tag, will have to take pix of it.
If you want to report wing tags to find out if your local AWPs are migrating, try reporting the tag to pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv. They can provide the time and place of banding.

Last edited by Kiddo70; 04-04-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Correct address
04-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
If you want to report wing tags to find out if your local AWPs are migrating, try reporting the tag to pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv. They can provide the time and place of banding.
Thx for the info.