Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Focus stacking - first hesitant steps
Lens: Tamron 90mm/f2.8 Camera: KP ISO: 400 
Posted By: newmikey, 04-05-2021, 09:41 AM

Inspired by a Dutch forum member who came to pick up some bits and bobs I traded here on the forum (thanks Jetze, nice meeting you!) I tried my hand at focus stacking. I'm still in the baby steps realm using manual focus on the lens to advance the plane of focus but I'm having great fun! I downloaded ZereneStacker 30-day trial and will certainly spend the money on a full version - always grateful to find software which runs on Linux as well.

I shot PEF, converted to TIF with Darktable and post-processed after stacking with Gimp. I still have some haloing going on here, probably due to my inprecise way of advancing focus but we'll get there in time...

Here's an 8-shot stack:

And a 12-shot stack:

Views: 394
04-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice results! Focus stacking is a lot of fun. I have done my processing in Photoshop and it does a decent job most of the time. I have even done a few handheld and Photoshop did a good job of auto-aligning the images.
04-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
Closed Account

Nicely done!
I'm a Linux and Gimp user myself.
There's another way to stack with Gimp, and may be free, here:

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 04-05-2021 at 06:19 PM.
04-06-2021, 02:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely put together photographs. A darn fine effort for just learning. Thnx for posting.

tt