Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A close look at bouncing flash
Posted By: hamidlmt, 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM

I've recently been discovering the fun of bouncing an on-camera hot-shoe flash with the AF-540 attached to the K20D.

You can easily get some keen results like this... 0.8 sec, F/5, iso 400

With a steady-hand you can drag the shutter and use a slow shutter speed. This helps to balance the flash with the ambient light. The flash will help freeze motion.

For a clue on how I did it, here's a 100% crop...

I angled the flash backward, over my head and at an angle.

Here are a few more examples of bounce flash.... all of these were taken in my fairly dimly lit living room at night.. just enough light to lock focus on dark colored doggies.

Now then, grab your camera and try it!
Views: 1,831
11-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots you have there.. have you tried off shoe Flash? it's fun to try too especially when there's no wall/ ceiling to bounce to and you only have cheesy flash. Mine is FGZ 360AF (definitely not good enough for bouncing action).
11-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverelantra Quote
Nice shots you have there.. have you tried off shoe Flash? it's fun to try too especially when there's no wall/ ceiling to bounce to and you only have cheesy flash. Mine is FGZ 360AF (definitely not good enough for bouncing action).
Oh yes... off-camera is the best, in my book. I graduated from Cactus V2 triggers to SM Flashwaves. But, I feel I need to learn effective on-camera flash techniques for events, etc.
11-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

hamidlmt,
Love the pooch of course, NO.1.

I really like how good photographers and artists catch the reflection in the eyeball of the subject. I have a pic of a barra, and the artist always has reflections in the eye. Christopher May is the artists name, in case your interested.

Nicely captured my friend.

Peter

Last of the great spellers.