Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
High Speed Infrared at Joshua tree NP with an MX
Lens: SMC K 35mm f/3.5 Camera: MX Photo Location: Joshua Tree National Park ISO: 250 Shutter Speed: 1/60s 
Posted By: cobbu2, 04-14-2021, 06:15 AM

Hello Everyone, here's a series from a recent visit to Joshua Tree National Park with a MX, SMC 35/3.5 K lens and a No. 25 red filter on Kodak HIE (expired in 2009). I set the meter to ISO 250, reading through the filter. Cheers, Allan

Wonderland of Rocks

Lean On Me

Cap Rock

Wonderland of Rocks 2

Cholla Cactus Garden

Views: 1,110
04-14-2021, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice !
04-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Richard! Every time I use what's left of my HIE supply, I mourn its discontinuance.
04-14-2021, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool! I have a very small supply of HIE, but in 4x5 (25 sheets). I've never shot it before and fear I will hardly get the processing figured out before I run out of film.

Steve

04-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very cool! I have a very small supply of HIE, but in 4x5 (25 sheets). I've never shot it before and fear I will hardly get the processing figured out before I run out of film.

Steve
Thanks Steve! I'd love to have some HIE in 4x5, I would imagine the results would be stunning.
04-14-2021, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The IR effect is fascinating. Thanks for posting!
04-15-2021, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The IR effect is fascinating. Thanks for posting!
Thanks Rob! HIE gives a little extra "glow," mainly for the halation effect from the base I think, but it adds a nice special effect especially with the added grain of the film.

04-15-2021, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had to have another look. These really are stunning. I really love Cholla Cactus Garden, the fifth image. It has a certain radiance to the cacti that is really compelling.

Have you tried the newish Rollei 400 Infrared ? I have a couple of rolls I really need to go shoot.
04-15-2021, 06:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I had to have another look. These really are stunning. I really love Cholla Cactus Garden, the fifth image. It has a certain radiance to the cacti that is really compelling.

Have you tried the newish Rollei 400 Infrared ? I have a couple of rolls I really need to go shoot.
Thanks, I appreciate it! That's the inherent beauty of HIE, brightly lit healthy foliage really stands out. By the way, cholla cactus may appear cuddly (at least from a distance, also known as "Teddy Bear Cactus"), but make no mistake, they are truly vicious plants with microscopic barbs that need special assistance to remove. There are many warning signs pleading to "not touch"... I guess they've had too many incidents!

I definitely need to transition to the Rollei 400 IR; I have only 2 rolls of HIE left and eBay sellers' HIE prices have gone ridiculously high!

Last edited by cobbu2; 04-15-2021 at 07:00 PM.
04-15-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
I definitely need to transition to the Rollei 400 IR ...
You'll need a R72 filter with that film. Of the IR films I think HIE was the only one you could get a decent IR effect with just a red filter. At least with the 3 brands that I've tried. Some Rollei IR has been recently posted in the BW thread and one in sheet film.
04-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You'll need a R72 filter with that film. Of the IR films I think HIE was the only one you could get a decent IR effect with just a red filter. At least with the 3 brands that I've tried. Some Rollei IR has been recently posted in the BW thread and one in sheet film.
Good to know, thanks. I have several R72 filters (and a B+W 093) that I use on my Leica M8 that handles IR nicely, but I've never used one for film, as HIE was the only IR film I ever used. I tracked down those Rollei 400 examples in the B&W thread, lots of good info for metering, much appreciated!
04-27-2021, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

amazing series of shots! I love your framing! well done
04-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
amazing series of shots! I love your framing! well done
Thank you very much! It was liberating to use a MX, a single lens, and my feet.
04-27-2021, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
LSR

That was very interesting, thanks for sharing.
04-29-2021, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
Thanks, I appreciate it! That's the inherent beauty of HIE, brightly lit healthy foliage really stands out. By the way, cholla cactus may appear cuddly (at least from a distance, also known as "Teddy Bear Cactus"), but make no mistake, they are truly vicious plants with microscopic barbs that need special assistance to remove. There are many warning signs pleading to "not touch"... I guess they've had too many incidents!

I definitely need to transition to the Rollei 400 IR; I have only 2 rolls of HIE left and eBay sellers' HIE prices have gone ridiculously high!
The HIE results really are superb, so if you do try the Rollei, a comparion between the two might be fun. Thanks again.