Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
Why are we following this British guy on the wrong side of the road? USA ! USA !
Lens: DFA 28-105 mm HD Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: California ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 04-22-2021, 03:08 PM

During road repair in California, they made us drive in the left lane behind a "guide" vehicle. I never really saw any reason why we did this as the right lane was perfectly all right. I guess the yellow straps and the yellow stripes on the road drew my attention.

Views: 782
04-22-2021, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a native of the UK I can relate to how strange it can be driving on the opposite side of the road. During one of my first visits to the USA, I was driving on the right (as I was supposed to), when I met another vehicle coming the other way on my side of the road. My immediate reaction was "I must be on the wrong side" and switched to the other lane. I can only assume the other driver assumed it was a one way street, and on seeing me his immediate reaction was to switch to the other lane. Luckily we both had time to stop but it's amazing how much your natural reaction will take over in a panic situation.
04-22-2021, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
As a native of the UK I can relate to how strange it can be driving on the opposite side of the road. During one of my first visits to the USA, I was driving on the right (as I was supposed to), when I met another vehicle coming the other way on my side of the road. My immediate reaction was "I must be on the wrong side" and switched to the other lane. I can only assume the other driver assumed it was a one way street, and on seeing me his immediate reaction was to switch to the other lane. Luckily we both had time to stop but it's amazing how much your natural reaction will take over in a panic situation.
My beloved mother-in-law died 31-years ago on the highway in a situation like the one you describe where a car came over a hill on a 2-lane highway in the wrong lane, and her driver chose to turn left to the vacant lane, at the same time the oncoming driver turned right into her own lane. Skid marks proved fault. My mother-in-law is an uncanonized saint.
04-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
My beloved mother-in-law died 31-years ago on the highway in a situation like the one you describe -
My mother-in-law is an uncanonized saint.
I'm so sorry to hear of your tragic loss so many years ago. It sounds like she was a wonderful person and has been greatly missed. Hopefully, as vehicle technology advances, the likelihood of this type of incident will be greatly reduced. God bless!

04-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
During road repair in California, they made us drive in the left lane behind a "guide" vehicle. I never really saw any reason why we did this as the right lane was perfectly all right. I guess the yellow straps and the yellow stripes on the road drew my attention.
Is that California license real? Can't read any of the numbers.
04-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Um - I think you'll find it's you who drive on the wrong side of the road.

04-23-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Is that California license real? Can't read any of the numbers.
It's a totally real California license plate. I slightly altered the digits and numbers in PP so nobody can trace the owner of the truck. I consider this a "courtesy" towards the owner to be able to remain anonymous.

Regards

04-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a native of the UK I can relate to how strange it can be driving on the opposite side of the road.
I've been driving on both sides of the road & the thing I try to remember is that I should be on the divider side of the road.
04-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear of your tragic loss so many years ago. It sounds like she was a wonderful person and has been greatly missed. Hopefully, as vehicle technology advances, the likelihood of this type of incident will be greatly reduced. God bless!
I wasn't reaching out for condolences, as it was so many years in the past. I loved her, and we missed her a lot over these years, as you can imagine. Vehicle technology will advance and hopefully save lives.

That said, a week or so after the crash we were visiting my father in law in the hospital who had two fractured femurs, one of which required a rod be pounded into his femur and attached by screws at the top of the femur. That was the easy one. The other femur required a side-plate and 13 screws to affix as many shards as could be affixed. About 3-months later he was walking with a walker, and a year later unassisted.

The old part of the hospital had little old hospital rooms that accommodated overnight guests from out-of-town like us, sort of a cheap hotel for family members. We went for a walk that night, and happened upon the obstetric unit where we could see through a window over a dozen new born babies. We lost someone dear. We saw new life. The new life provided an overwhelming feeling of hope in the face of adversity.
04-25-2021, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
When we post a picture, we never know in advance what emotions or memories it can trigger with viewers. I'm sorry if such painful memories welled up. We should always try to be good to one another, this is what my late father (he would be 106) taught me. Cheers, everybody !

Regards to you all
12-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Come follow, follow, follow, follow, follow, follow me" as the trad. folksong say. And it continues:
"Whiter shall I follow, follow, follow, whiter shall I follow follow thee ? "
"To the green wood, to the green wood ... - follow me!"
And now my question: Did you come to a green wood ?
12-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I rented a car on the main Turks and Caicos island. They drove UK-style. It was easy to get adjusted (steering wheel also shifted from what I am accustomed).

Now, the car was an AT... I'd wish it'd been a manual transmission; I do not know how shifting gears with the left hand would have felt...
12-01-2021, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
on the wrong side of the road?
All in this image looks to be ok with me.

12-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your humourous quips. I think Caltrans was repainting the yellow lines on the Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1) in the middle of the road and didn't want cars to cross over and mess the fresh paint spray.

Regards
12-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found driving in London was ok because you always had traffic to follow. When out i Wales however... went through junction into the wrong lane. Not a car in sight fortunately. I guess that's why I made the mistake. Had nothing to calibrate against.