Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  
K3 III quick ISO test
Posted By: jspi, 04-23-2021, 09:00 PM

It arrived today. Haven't read the manual and only a few test shots to ensure it's not DOA. One of the primary reasons (excuses?) for the purchase was the K3 II didn't give satisfactory results over ISO 800 (I've been in many low-light scenarios lately). Since the K3 III has ISO 1,600,000 it's got to be better, right? Yeah, absurd quoting unusable figures like that so a quick test was in order. All photos taken with the same lens, f/2.8, varying focal lengths, handheld, auto-focus, and without shake reduction. More photos were taken but these were the best of the impromptu shoot.

Neither Adobe nor ACDSee liked the PEF RAW files so theses are JPG straight from the camera. Mostly... When necessary, the info was removed form Chester's tag and I underexposed on ISO 1600 (added +2/3 stop in post). RAW files are now set to DNG so hopefully that issue is taken care of. Crops are 100% and 99% of the camera settings are exactly how it came out of the box.

More testing is needed but I think ISO 6400 on the K3 III is close to ISO 800 on the K3 II.

Full album here if anyone cares to look at the full sized images.
K3 III Test photos | Flickr

ISO 6400

ISO 6400 - 100% crop

ISO 3200

ISO 3200 crop

ISO 1600 (underexposed so +2/3 stop added in post)

ISO 1600 crop (underexposed so +2/3 stop added in post)

ISO 800

ISO 800 crop

ISO 400

ISO 400 crop

Views: 4,498
04-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
!!!!!!!

04-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Great captures, impressive results!! Just out of curiosity why turn the S/R off when hand holding at slower shutter speeds? Using BBF might help out with your half-press problems. Over all I'm very impressed and I can't wait till mine gets here.
I started with SR off and left it that way. No real reason. Had I made it to ISO 100, I probably would have turned it on.

I've tried BBF focus and didn't get all the hype. Aside from muscle memory, I never grasped why a dual-purpose button was such a big deal. Mainly, I didn't like having to adjust my grip on the camera just to hit the focus button (the button is typically out of reach). Especially when using heavier lenses. But yes, that would fix the feel of the shutter button and I may give it another try. I'm having to learn new ergonomics anyway (like the joystick) so now would be the time.

Last edited by jspi; 04-24-2021 at 12:12 PM.
04-24-2021, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto on all of the above, and Chester's a very handsome dude, too!
04-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks for doing the tests. ISO 6400 seems really clean.

04-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
I started with SR off and left it that way. No real reason. Had I made it to ISO 100, I probably would have turned it on.

I've tried BBF focus and didn't get all the hype. Aside from muscle memory, I never grasped why a dual-purpose button was such a big deal. Mainly, I didn't like having to adjust my grip on the camera just to hit the focus button (the button is typically out of reach). Especially when using heavier lenses. But yes, that would fix the feel of the shutter button and I may give it another try. I'm having to learn new ergonomics anyway (like the joystick) so now would be the time.
Give it a try. For me, my thumb rests nicely between the back focus button and the joystick. I’m learning that in shooting action, I sometimes need to tap the joystick to get focus back to the center as I try to track something unexpected. I’m liking the joystick, but it’s going to take some practice.
04-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. I cannot see any noise at 3200, which is better than KP. At 6400 noise starts to be visible, but it's better than the KP. Of course, those results were to be expected.

But why you didn't test at higher ISO? This is where the check would have been interesting. KP at 12 800 has a very different rendering compared to 3200 and 6400.
04-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #22

Original Poster
I've added to the album:

New photos start at:
0000800 | ISO 800 | jaster131 | Flickr

Again, JPG from the camera with no processing. Same lens as before, f/2.8, and a sleepy subject with little interest in moving. The camera seemed to consistently focus between the eyes. ISO 1600 doesn't seem to be focused anywhere so I guess one of us moved. That ISO is covered in the other shots so I didn't bother taking it again. Didn't have time to do the 100% crop but the full image was uploaded so you should be able to view it at 100%.

Windows, ACDSee, and Flickr all max out at ISO 65,535 so they don't show the right information on high ISO images. Photoshop does show the correct ISO.

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Give it a try. For me, my thumb rests nicely between the back focus button and the joystick. I’m learning that in shooting action, I sometimes need to tap the joystick to get focus back to the center as I try to track something unexpected. I’m liking the joystick, but it’s going to take some practice.
Looked at the K3 II again and BBF isn't out of reach, just a little awkward. I have to loosen my grip just a little. Generally wouldn't be a big deal but I have, on occasion, needed the other hand for stability or safety reasons. The K3 III is placed better for my hands so I'll give it a try again.

A joystick on a camera, that's going to take a little adjustment but I'm sure I'll pick it up quick. Only messed with to verify it works but that's how I focus most of my shots so it'll get a workout.

Still need to read the manual...

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote

But why you didn't test at higher ISO? This is where the check would have been interesting. KP at 12 800 has a very different rendering compared to 3200 and 6400.
Just added some higher ISO shots to the Flickr Album. This subject was sleepy so it was more tolerant of photos.

04-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ISO 25600 still looks very usable. Thanks for the sequence of ISO shots.
04-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
ISO 25600 still looks very usable. Thanks for the sequence of ISO shots.
You're welcome, it was just a quick test for my personal curiosity and thought I'd share. I'm sure someone will take more time and do a better test.

04-25-2021, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #25
Forum Member

It arrived today. Haven't read the manual and only a few test shots to ensure it's not DOA. One of the primary reasons (excuses?) for the purchase was the K3 II didn't give satisfactory results over ISO 800 (I've been in many low-light scenarios lately). Since the K3 III has ISO 1,600,000 it's got to be better, right? Yeah, absurd quoting unusable figures like that so a quick test was in order. All photos taken with the same lens, f/2.8, varying focal lengths, handheld, auto-focus, and without shake reduction. More photos were taken but these were the best of the impromptu shoot.

Neither Adobe nor ACDSee liked the PEF RAW files so theses are JPG straight from the camera. Mostly... When necessary, the info was removed form Chester's tag and I underexposed on ISO 1600 (added +2/3 stop in post). RAW files are now set to DNG so hopefully that issue is taken care of. Crops are 100% and 99% of the camera settings are exactly how it came out of the box.

More testing is needed but I think ISO 6400 on the K3 III is close to ISO 800 on the K3 II.

ISO 6400

ISO 6400 - 100% crop

ISO 3200

ISO 3200 crop

ISO 800

ISO 800 crop

ISO 400

ISO 400 crop
Thank you jspi ( K3 III Test photos | Flickr ) for this post !! As one that struggle with the thought of leaving Pentax for Canon mirrorless family, those picture shows that Pentax kept all its advantages in the K3 family + adding the low noise ISO . I think that picture quality + performance / price - put Pentax back in the game
04-26-2021, 01:32 PM   #26

Original Poster
Needed to test a flash on the K3 III and Nikki was a willing model. PP was cropping, increasing exposure a little, and a slight bit of contrast and clarity. Didn't feel the need to adjust saturation or vibrance. With the K3 II, I'm accustomed to seeing the RAW and JPG looking quite different in terms of saturation, vibrance, etc. With the K3 III, the RAW & JPG look nearly identical.

K3 III
D FA 24-70mm (at 70mm)
f/8
1/200
ISO 100
Promaster flash

Cat cleaning paw | First test of K3 III using flash | jaster131 | Flickr

04-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just added some higher ISO shots to the Flickr Album
Very impressive! - btw I noticed on someone else's pics also, that the EXIF seems to stick at ISO 65535 after 51200
05-07-2021, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #28

ISO 6400

ISO 6400 - 100% crop

ISO 3200

ISO 3200 crop

ISO 800

ISO 800 crop

ISO 400

ISO 400 crop
very impressive, I getting conclusion than having full frame is not necessary.
05-08-2021, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Very impressive! - btw I noticed on someone else's pics also, that the EXIF seems to stick at ISO 65535 after 51200
makes sense, that would be max FFFF in hex. Isn't there an exif version that supports longer numbers?
05-08-2021, 02:37 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
makes sense, that would be max FFFF in hex. Isn't there an exif version that supports longer numbers?
Thank you - It never ceases to amaze me how much I don't know!