Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Collared Pecary AKA Javelina
Lens: Various Camera: K-70 
Posted By: Riggson, 04-26-2021, 12:49 PM

We had one move into our neighborhood a couple weeks ago. Finally managed to get a few shots over the weekend. I live in a well developed area of town so I assume the US southwestern drought and lack of forage drove him into the city.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 332
04-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I like that last pic particularly. I never managed to see one in the wild when I was in the US.
04-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That is quite a picture. I've never seen a wild pig, out and about in the wild.

In our province we are supposed to have wild pigs, which have descended from escapees (wild European/ Russian boars) from a couple of game farms, that used to be in our province. I've even checked out local hunter forums and a number of hunters indicate they've never seen wild pigs in this province. Could be that there are just very few, or we're lucky out here. Or as some hunters have said, we have a healthy population of Timber Wolves and they would be an effective wild pig population curb.
04-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This little piglet on heels is just adorable, I wonder what it tastes like!

04-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

What a cute animal!
04-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They actually are not pigs, but they look like pigs. They are from a different family entirely.

I have seen them foraging in my parents' neighborhood in Marana (Tucson suburb) late at night when I visit. My daughter did an internship in Tucson in January and February and saw them during the day in Tucson, while she was running.
04-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never heard of this creature - and this fellow (or gal) inhabits the US?

Jer

04-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent captures! They are fascinating animals.
04-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Interesting. I like that last pic particularly. I never managed to see one in the wild when I was in the US.
Thank you. That one was taken with a K-70 and the P-FA 100mm Macro. They are generally timid so tend to avoid humans so it was quite a surpise when this one turned up in our suburban neighborhood in the center of town.

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've never heard of this creature - and this fellow (or gal) inhabits the US?

Jer
It inhabits the desert southwest - Arizona, New Mexico, West Texas and down into Northern Mexico. They tend to avoid humans and try to avoid the heat of the day so generally come out mornings & evenings and sleep middays & nights. Mainly herbivores but they will eat insects, lizards and other small animals. This one has the neighborhood cats somewhat nervous.

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 12:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
This little piglet on heels is just adorable, I wonder what it tastes like!
Like pork but a touch sweeter.

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 12:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
They actually are not pigs, but they look like pigs. They are from a different family entirely.

I have seen them foraging in my parents' neighborhood in Marana (Tucson suburb) late at night when I visit. My daughter did an internship in Tucson in January and February and saw them during the day in Tucson, while she was running.
Yes, they're quite good at digging up the landscaping.
I'm in midtown Tucson (Prince/Oracle area) and I suspect the long drought we're having is pulling the wildlife into town from the outskirts in search of food. My neighbor accross the street said his geraniums are being hit pretty hard.

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That is quite a picture. I've never seen a wild pig, out and about in the wild.
Actually not a pig but a related species. The distinction is pigs are old world hemisphere and peccaries are new world hemisphere.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
In our province we are supposed to have wild pigs, which have descended from escapees (wild European/ Russian boars) from a couple of game farms, that used to be in our province. I've even checked out local hunter forums and a number of hunters indicate they've never seen wild pigs in this province. Could be that there are just very few, or we're lucky out here. Or as some hunters have said, we have a healthy population of Timber Wolves and they would be an effective wild pig population curb.
Same here in the southwest. These are native to the area and are a favorite meal for the coyotes, wolves & mountain lions.

Last edited by Riggson; 04-28-2021 at 12:56 PM.