Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Lady Snapping Turtle
Lens: 55-300 PLM WR RE Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Lake Perez, Pennsylvania ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F19 
Posted By: joelbolden, 04-27-2021, 07:59 AM

Found this good sized female snapping turtle as she was exiting the lake, probably going to lay her eggs inland. She came to a halt and was completely still when I showed up, so I used my Pixel Shift Resolution setting for these.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 251
04-27-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a baby one bite me as a child near a pond. Hurt for days! I was lucky it didn’t really get my finger in its mouth. Stay away from them now as an adult. �� How can you tell it’s a female?
04-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

But it looks like a bump or a stone, how did you notice it? This is luck.
04-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
I had a baby one bite me as a child near a pond. Hurt for days! I was lucky it didnít really get my finger in its mouth. Stay away from them now as an adult. �� How can you tell itís a female?
The females favour pink in their outfits.

I'm not sure with snapping turtles, but I know how to distinguish between male/female western painted turtles. The males have longer front claws than the female, and the shells are shaped differently. If I recall the males have a proportionally higher shell, the females a lower shell.

But I'm going back 50 years and my memory may be wrong. With Western Ornate Box turtles, the females have brown eyes, the male red eyes.

Last edited by lesmore49; 04-27-2021 at 05:00 PM.
04-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a lady to get overly friendly with. But a good catch for a pic.
04-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Looks like a stone. Good catch and thanks for sharing.
04-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice, we had one in our yard a few years ago, it dug a hole to lay eggs but not sure if it did, the kids were pretty interested in it and may have scared it off before she laid. We use to go hand fishing for baby turtles in the shallow corner of a lake when we were kids, never got bitten.

04-27-2021, 10:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
I had a baby one bite me as a child near a pond. Hurt for days! I was lucky it didnít really get my finger in its mouth. Stay away from them now as an adult. �� How can you tell itís a female?
The tail is longer and thinner in the female. The male's is flatter, heavier and wider because it contains his sexual organ.

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 01:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barhan7 Quote
But it looks like a bump or a stone, how did you notice it? This is luck.
There's a boardwalk on this particular trail that spans the shallow, marshy section where the creek empties into the lake. I'd been crouched on it trying to get a photo of a Spotted Red Newt, when just her snout and eyes appeared in the weeds. Went on a little hike further up the trail, and on the way back she was like you see in the pics, about 5 feet from the boardwalk. Been hiking/kayaking there for decades and I know every bush, tree and flower that grows there. She stuck out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by joelbolden; 04-28-2021 at 12:02 AM.
04-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture! I saw a picture of a guy who was noodling catfish and lost a finger to a snapping turtle. About 5 feet is as close as I would get